Circular Motion Problem 2: Help with Solving | Physics Forum

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a physics problem involving acceleration and velocity. The problem is stated as |aT|=|aN| and the suggested approach is to use a=vdv/ds instead of a=dv/dt. The participants discuss and clarify the proper way to solve the problem through integration, with one solution being more elegant and simple. Ultimately, the problem is solved and the participants thank each other for their contributions.
thunderhadron
Hi friend the problem is as follows:

Attempt:

Please friends help me in this.
Thank you all in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of using a=dv/dt use a=vdv/ds.

The given condition is |aT|=|aN|

i.e -vdv/ds=v2/R .

Integrate with proper limits and you will get the answer.

Tanya Sharma said:
Instead of using a=dv/dt use a=vdv/ds.

The given condition is |aT|=|aN|

i.e -vdv/ds=v2/R .

Integrate with proper limits and you will get the answer.

Thank you very much tanya. I got the answer.

But Was I doing it in wrong manner?

You got the answer with your approach or the one i asked you to do ?

Tanya Sharma said:
You got the answer with your approach or the one i asked you to do ?

By your approach.

thunderhadron said:
Thank you very much tanya. I got the answer.

But Was I doing it in wrong manner?

The particle was decelerating, so your first equation should have been a=-v2/R. The other error was, that when you integrated v with respect time, you forgot the lower limit of integration. So your result is dimensionally incorrect. Tanya's solution is very elegant and simple, but yours is also all right if you do it properly. :smile:

ehild

ehild said:
The other error was, that when you integrated v with respect time, you forgot the lower limit of integration. :smile:

ehild

The lower limit of time should be zero. The question states that.

thunderhadron said:
The lower limit of time should be zero. The question states that.

Yes, but you have ln(R-vot), it is not zero at t=0.

After integration when you put t=0,the term doesn't vanish.You have erroneously assumed it to be 0.

Thank you very much friends. I got the answer. Problem has been cleared.

1. How do I approach solving a circular motion problem?

The first step in solving a circular motion problem is to draw a clear and accurate diagram of the situation. This will help you visualize the motion and identify important quantities such as the radius and velocity. Next, you will need to analyze the forces acting on the object, such as centripetal force and any other external forces. Finally, apply the appropriate equations, such as Newton's second law and the centripetal force equation, to solve for the unknown variables.

2. What is the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is a force that acts towards the center of a circular path, keeping an object moving along that path. It is responsible for keeping the object in circular motion and is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its velocity divided by the radius of the circular path. In other words, it is the force necessary to maintain the object's acceleration towards the center of the circle.

3. How do I calculate centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity as it moves in a circular path. It is equal to the square of the object's velocity divided by the radius of the circular path. This can also be expressed as the product of the object's angular velocity and its tangential velocity. The direction of centripetal acceleration is always towards the center of the circle.

4. What is the difference between tangential velocity and angular velocity?

Tangential velocity refers to the speed at which an object is moving along a circular path, while angular velocity refers to the rate of change of the object's angular position. In other words, tangential velocity is a linear measurement, while angular velocity is an angular measurement. However, they are related and can be used to calculate each other in circular motion problems.

5. How does the mass of an object affect its circular motion?

The mass of an object does not directly affect its circular motion. However, it does affect the amount of force required to keep the object moving in a circular path. The greater the mass, the greater the force needed to maintain the same circular motion. This can be seen in the centripetal force equation, where the mass is a factor in determining the force required for circular motion.