Calculating Tension in a Model Plane's Horizontal Circular Motion

In summary, the model plane with a mass of .75 kg is flying in a horizontal circle with a radius of 30 m at a height of 18 m. It makes 4.4 revolutions per minute and the force of air on the plane is perpendicular to the wings. The tension in the cord can be found by using Newton's 2nd law and identifying all forces on the plane, with the realization that the acceleration is centripetal.
st3dent
A model plane of mass .75 kg is flying at a constant speed in a horizontal circle connected to a 30 m cord and is at a height of 18 m. The other end of the cord is tethered to the ground as shown in the picture. The plane makes 4.4 revolutions per minute, and the force that the air exerts on the plane is perpendicular to the wings. What is the tension in the cord?

I can see that the ball moves in constant circular motion with r as its radius.

I know that since the ball makes 4.4 revolutions/minute means that the ball has a period(T) of 13.63 seconds.

I also realize that the sum of all forces = ma
As F = ma, Gm1m2/ r2 = ((m)(4 pi2)(r)) / T2

I see that the force of tension (Ft) has an upwards component of Ftsinx that balances the downwards mg and a left component of Ftcosx that directly causes the circular motion.

However, I do not know how to approach this problem.
Where do I start...your help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• Circ_mot.problem.jpg
    Circ_mot.problem.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any object moving in a circle at constant speed must feel a force of mv2/r toward the center. In this case, what could be supplying that force?

Gravity...but how do I solve this damn problem?

st3dent said:
Use Newton's 2nd law! First identify all the forces on the plane. Then realize that the acceleration is centripetal, as swansont explained. Hint: the air pushes up (and back) on the plane, gravity pulls down... what is pulling it toward the center?

st3dent said:

NO! Gravity pulls downward. The plane is not going downward, it is going in a horizontal circle. What is keeping the plane in that circle?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object's distance from a fixed point remains constant but its direction changes continuously.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves a change in direction, while linear motion involves a change in position. In circular motion, the acceleration is always perpendicular to the velocity, while in linear motion, the acceleration is in the same direction as the velocity.

3. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Examples of circular motion include the motion of planets around the sun, the motion of a car around a roundabout, and the motion of a spinning top.

4. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary for an object to maintain circular motion.

5. How do you calculate the speed of an object in circular motion?

The speed of an object in circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = (2πr)/T, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circle, and T is the time it takes for the object to complete one full revolution.