Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Circular motion problem

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An inextensible spring with a longitud [tex]L[/tex] has a body attached on one of its side (at point [tex]Z[/tex] in my figure). The other side of the spring remains fixed (at the center of the circular motion).
    The body experiment the gravitational force since the circle is in a vertical plane.
    Calculate the minimal velocity (or speed?) when at point [tex]A[/tex] that must have the body in order to not be deviated from its circular motion.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I've thought a lot about the problem, but I'm really lost. I know the formulas to encounter the velocity and all this but I don't know how to apply them in this example. I know that if the velocity at point A is 0 then the body will fall vertically. If the velocity is very little then the body will describe a parabola and be deviated from its circular motion... And if he has the velocity I must find, it will remains on its circular motion. I find the problem very interesting but I'm at a loss! I need to be started, like "what happens when the body is at point [tex]A[/tex] and its velocity is the one you are looking for?", because I just don't know.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2
    Thats easy just take into account centrifugal acceleration.

4. Sep 29, 2008 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I got lucky today, I could ask a professor about
    , he told me that the tension must equals [tex]0[/tex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook