1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion problem

1. Sep 28, 2008 #1

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An inextensible spring with a longitud [tex]L[/tex] has a body attached on one of its side (at point [tex]Z[/tex] in my figure). The other side of the spring remains fixed (at the center of the circular motion).
    The body experiment the gravitational force since the circle is in a vertical plane.
    Calculate the minimal velocity (or speed?) when at point [tex]A[/tex] that must have the body in order to not be deviated from its circular motion.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution I've thought a lot about the problem, but I'm really lost. I know the formulas to encounter the velocity and all this but I don't know how to apply them in this example. I know that if the velocity at point A is 0 then the body will fall vertically. If the velocity is very little then the body will describe a parabola and be deviated from its circular motion... And if he has the velocity I must find, it will remains on its circular motion. I find the problem very interesting but I'm at a loss! I need to be started, like "what happens when the body is at point [tex]A[/tex] and its velocity is the one you are looking for?", because I just don't know.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2008 #2
    Thats easy just take into account centrifugal acceleration.
  4. Sep 29, 2008 #3

Gold Member

I got lucky today, I could ask a professor about
    , he told me that the tension must equals [tex]0[/tex].
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?