Finding the Optimal Initial Speed for Circular Motion - What's the Solution?

In summary, the question is asking for the initial horizontal speed that needs to be given to the ball so that it will have completed exactly 2 revolutions around the inside of the cylinder when it hits the ground. The answer is that the horizontal speed is constant, and is due to gravity only.
roman15
this is the question.
A ball is placed against the inner edge of a cylinder at a height h=4R where R is the radius of the cylinder. What initial horizontal speed v0 tangential to the cylinder wall should be given to the ball so that it will have completed exactly 2 revolutions around the inside of the cylinder when it hits the ground?

I was completely lost when I saw this one!

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there any other information given? At least, the masses of the ball and cylinder should be provided.

Yeah, it's tough to know without an explicit description of where the ball is initially placed and where the cylinder initially is. I think you may have to assume that the cylinder starts 4R off the ground, and that the ball is at the bottom of the cylinder. So then you have to figure out the angular frequency that will let it do 2 revolutions by the time the cylinder falls the 4R distance.

the only other information is to neglect friction
the ball starts at the top of the cylinder and moves down along the inner edge of the cyclinder

Ah, now I can understand what the question means exactly.
Since there is no friction, the cylinder exerts only a normal force to the ball, and the normal force acts towards the center. The other force exerted on the ball is gravity, which points vertically downwards. Therefore, the horizontal component of v remains unchanged! Plus that the vertical component of v is due to gravity only, you can calculate the time period for one cycle & the time period for the ball to land on the ground, can't you? :wink:

Oh, I see now too. At this point the problem is just like any other loop problem. You need to look for a period of 2.5.

ok you i kinda came to this same realization today
since there is no initial vertical component of velocity and the acceleration is only due to gravity, can't i just use projectile kinematics to solve this now
where the change in height would be 4R and the range would be 2x the circumference of the circle

Why not just say that

[tex]v=\omega R[/tex] where

[tex]\omega = 2 \pi/ T[/tex]

and use kinematics to solve for how long it takes the ring to fall, and thus how long your period needs to be. Do you follow?

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path around a fixed center.

2. How do you calculate the velocity of an object in circular motion?

The velocity of an object in circular motion can be calculated using the formula v = rω, where v is the tangential velocity, r is the radius of the circle, and ω is the angular velocity.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by the square of its tangential velocity divided by the radius of the circle.

4. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves an object moving along a circular path, while linear motion involves an object moving along a straight path. In circular motion, the velocity and acceleration of the object are constantly changing due to the changing direction of the motion, whereas in linear motion, the velocity and acceleration are constant.

5. What are some real-life applications of circular motion?

Circular motion can be seen in many natural phenomena, such as the orbit of planets around the sun, the motion of a Ferris wheel, and the spinning of a ball tied to a string. It is also used in man-made devices, such as centrifuges, carousels, and roller coasters.