How to Calculate Angular Displacement in Circular Motion?

In summary: So just plug in t = 4.5 s and you will get your answer.In summary, the angular velocity of a process control motor is (10−1/2t^2) rad/s, with t in seconds. At t = 4.5 s, the motor reverses direction and the angular displacement between t = 0 s and t = 4.5 s is 29.81 radians. This can be calculated by plugging in t = 4.5 s into the equation for angular displacement, which is displacement = 10t-(1/6) t^3.
kittycat342
[moderator's note: Thread moved from forum General Physics, so no template shown]

The angular velocity of a process control motor is (10−1/2t^2) rad/s, where t is in seconds.

a. At what time does the motor reverse direction?
I got 4.5 s which is correct

b. Through what angle does the motor turn between t =0 s and the instant at which it reverses direction?

I do not know how to solve part b

Physics news on Phys.org
Nidum said:
That expression could be interpreted in different ways . Could you please write it out more clearly so that we are certain what is meant ?
That was all that I was given. I am looking for the Delta theta

How do you get rads out of rad/s and time?

rpthomps said:
How do you get rads out of rad/s and time?
Multiply by time?

kittycat342 said:
do not know how to solve part b
Do you know how angular velocity is related to angular displacement?

velocity is the derivative of displacement

Right, and displacement is the integral of velocity. So, ...

kuruman said:
Right, and displacement is the integral of velocity. So, ...
displacement = 10t-1/6t^3

Right. I would write this as, displacement = 10t-(1/6) t^3 otherwise you might think that t^3 is multiplied by 6. Now reread question b. Can you answer it?

kuruman said:
Right. I would write this as, displacement = 10t-(1/6) t^3 otherwise you might think that t^3 is multiplied by 6. Now reread question b. Can you answer it?
Can I just plug in time? so 45 - (1/6)*4.5^3 = 29.81?

Sure. You derived an expression that gives you the angular displacement at any time t and you are looking for the angular displacement at the specific time t = 4.5 s.

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path at a constant speed.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle.

How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = (mv²)/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as the force increases, the acceleration also increases, and vice versa.

What is the difference between centripetal and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of the circle, while centrifugal force is the perceived outward force experienced by an object moving in a circular path. Centrifugal force is not a real force, but rather a result of inertia.