1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion Question

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1
    Hi, I've recently done a lab where we are investigating circular motion. I've plotted a graph of Period vs. Radius, but I'm unable to tell if a straight line or some sort of curve would be better suited to the graph.

I've also plotted log-Period vs. log-Radius and it was a straight line which makes me think that the graph of T vs. R should be a curve, but when I look at my (possibly very flawed) data points a straight line seems better suited.

In short, my question is, is the graph of Period vs. Radius for uniform circular motion a straight line or a curve?

Edit: Forgot to mention this is the ol' rubber stopper on the end of a string and your swinging the whole thing around by holding onto a glass tube, with the weight being on the other end of the string)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: Given that the centripetal force is the same in all cases, what is the relationship between T and R?

4. Feb 12, 2006 #3
    I wish I knew.

5. Feb 12, 2006 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What would you conclude if [itex]\omega^2 r[/itex] is a constant?

6. Feb 13, 2006 #5
    We havn't been told any equations so I have no idea what that means

7. Feb 13, 2006 #6

KD

I'm fairly sure that if the experiment went according to theory, the graph would be a straight line.

I'm saying this because we did a lab like this, and all of our graphs were supposed to be straight lines to show a direct relationship.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?