Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Circular Motion Question

1. Feb 12, 2006 #1
    Hi, I've recently done a lab where we are investigating circular motion. I've plotted a graph of Period vs. Radius, but I'm unable to tell if a straight line or some sort of curve would be better suited to the graph.

I've also plotted log-Period vs. log-Radius and it was a straight line which makes me think that the graph of T vs. R should be a curve, but when I look at my (possibly very flawed) data points a straight line seems better suited.

In short, my question is, is the graph of Period vs. Radius for uniform circular motion a straight line or a curve?

Edit: Forgot to mention this is the ol' rubber stopper on the end of a string and your swinging the whole thing around by holding onto a glass tube, with the weight being on the other end of the string)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

HINT: Given that the centripetal force is the same in all cases, what is the relationship between T and R?

4. Feb 12, 2006 #3
    I wish I knew.

5. Feb 12, 2006 #4

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What would you conclude if [itex]\omega^2 r[/itex] is a constant?

6. Feb 13, 2006 #5
    We havn't been told any equations so I have no idea what that means

7. Feb 13, 2006 #6

KD

I'm fairly sure that if the experiment went according to theory, the graph would be a straight line.

I'm saying this because we did a lab like this, and all of our graphs were supposed to be straight lines to show a direct relationship.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2006
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook