1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion Question

1. Oct 26, 2004 #1
    Ok, here's the one question I can't get on my assignment. I really have no idea where to start.

How do I even go about starting this problem?

Any hints or help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2004 #2

Whoops, wrong account, didn't realize I had two accounts. Oh well. Anyways, this is my question. Sorry for having two accounts, when I signed up the email wouldn't send so I just got another account.

Also, there is a "hint" that goes with this question: "You can approximate the apparent weight by the real weight."

I don't know how that helps though.
  4. Oct 26, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

centripetal acceleration

Here's a hint: If the earth weren't rotating, the plumb bob would point straight towards the earth's center. Furthermore the bob would be in equilibrium. But, alas, the earth rotates. Thus the bob is accelerating towards its axis of rotation. Figure out that acceleration and then apply Newton's 2nd law to find the angle that the bob must hang.
  5. Oct 26, 2004 #4

Beauty. I wouldn't have thought of it like that. I don't really have a problem with this material, but I think the abstraction in this question was just too much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?