What is the relationship between angular momentum and angular velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a turntable rotating at a constant angular velocity of 4.0 rad/s in a clockwise direction, with a ten-cent coin located 5 cm from the axis of rotation. The direction of the angular velocity vector is into the page according to the right hand rule. The radial (centripetal) acceleration at the position of the coin is calculated, assuming the coin does not slip. The minimum coefficient of static friction between the coin and the turntable is also calculated. The value of the constant angular acceleration (α) for the turntable is found to be 4.0 rad/s2. The tangential acceleration at the position of the coin is also determined. An expression for the magnitude of total acceleration
sydboydell31
A turntable is rotating at a constant angular velocity of ω = 4.0 rad/s in the direction of a clockwise fashion. There is a ten-cent coin on the turntable, at a distance of 5 cm from the axis of rotation.

(a) Which one of the following options below correctly identifies the direction in which the angular velocity vector is pointing?

A Clockwise
B Anti-clockwise;
C Into the page;
D Out of the page.

(b) Calculate the radial (centripetal) acceleration at the position of the ten-cent coin. Indicate the direction of this acceleration.

(c) Calculate the minimum coefficient of static friction between the coin and the turntable. Assume the coin does not slip.
Consider the time interval during which the turntable is accelerated initially from rest to its final angular velocity (ωf = 4.0 rad/s) . This is achieved with a constant angular acceleration (α) for 0.5 s.

(d) In units of rad/s2 what is the value of α?

(e) Calculate the tangential acceleration at the position of the coin?

(f) Find an expression for the magnitude of total acceleration of the coin in terms of α and ω and use this to determine the maximum total acceleration experienced by the coin.

Can someone please help me with this question? and I'm always confused between angular momentum and angular velocity, i know the first answer is "into the page" because of the right hand rule, but why?? I know it because the textbook says it, but it didn't say why is it in that particular direction.

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your book explain how to use the right hand rule?

and I'm always confused between angular momentum and angular velocity
Angular momentum (L) = the cross product of the displacement vector and linear momentum vector.
L=[itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r}[/itex] x [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{p}[/itex]
(I'd memorize how to compute a cross product, it can end up being very useful. )
A more convenient way of writing it may be
L[itex]_{r}[/itex]=I[itex]_{r}[/itex]ω[itex]_{r}[/itex] where r is a direction on an axis.

BTW, this might get more responses if you asked the mods to move it to introductory physics.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving in a circular motion.

3. What are some real-world examples of circular motion?

Some real-world examples of circular motion include the Earth's rotation around the sun, a car driving around a roundabout, and a spinning top.

4. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves movement along a curved path, while linear motion involves movement along a straight path. In circular motion, the direction of the velocity changes constantly, while in linear motion, the direction remains constant.

5. What is the relationship between speed and acceleration in circular motion?

In circular motion, speed and acceleration are not directly proportional. As the object moves along the circular path, its speed remains constant, but its direction changes, resulting in a change in acceleration. The acceleration in circular motion is always directed towards the center of the circle.