1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion question?

1. Dec 6, 2014 #1
    A 400kg roller coaster cart travels along the inside of a vertical circular track of radius 10 m. At its highest point it moves at 20 m/s. Friction between the cart and track is negligible.
    Find the cart's speed one quarter of a loop later (when it's at the same height as the loop's center).
    I know there is radial acceleration due to the change of the velocity vector around the circular path, but how do I know the speed is changing? Also how can I determine what the speed will be at that exact point along the circular path? Any help is appreciated! I'm really confused on how to set up this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The tools you can bring to bear are:
    1. your understanding of circular motion
    2. a free-body diagram
    3. conservation of energy

4. Dec 6, 2014 #3
    ah ok i forget to apply the conservation of energy equations to this problem, I'll give it a go thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted