Circular Motion: Finding Angular Velocity in a System of Interconnected Wheels

In summary, two wheels of different sizes are in contact with each other and the smaller wheel with a radius of 1.4cm is turning at 407 rad/s. By considering the fact that the speeds of circumferences are equal, it can be determined that the larger wheel with a radius of 15cm is turning at 37.9866 rad/s.
donjt81
This is the question...

A small wheel of radius 1.4cm drives a large wheel of radius 15cm by having their circumferences pressed together. If the small wheel turns at 407 rad/s, how fast does the larger one turn? Answer in rad/s

This is what I was thinking...

radius of smaller wheel = .014m
radius of larger wheel = .15m

circumference of smaller wheel = 2*pi*r = 2*3.14*.014 = .08792
angular velocity of smaller wheel (given) = 407 rad/s

angular velocity = circumference/time
time = circumference/angular velocity
=.08792/407 = .000216s

circumference of larger wheel = 2*pi*r = 2*3.14*.15 = .942

angular velocity = circumference/time
=.942/.000216 = 4361.11 rad/s

Does this approach look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
I disagree... By intuition, you can predict that the larger wheel is going to turn more slowly.. Try another approach..

Hint: Consider the fact that the speeds of circumferences are equal.

Eq: speed = w x r

w = angular velocity
r = radius

Does this help?

Sam

Last edited:
You are right... the larger wheel should go slower.

but since the speed of smaller wheel is 407 rad/s won't the larger wheel speed be the same?

so is the answer to the problem 407 rad/s for the larger wheel? but that doesn't make sense because the larger wheel is supposed to go slower...

I am confused...

OK, so if the speed at the circumfrence is:

v = w x r (as I stated above).

If the wheels are in contact this speed is equal on both wheels (not the angular velocity). Therefore:

wsmall x rsmall = wlarge x rlarge

I can't give you anymore hints without doing it now.

Good Luck... Let me know what you get for an answer.
Sam

Last edited:
ohh i got it. i was confused between angular velocity (w) and tangential velocity(v).

Hey another question. do you know if i did the right thing by converting the radius to (m) or should i have left it as (cm)?

You could have left it as cm because you're dividing by the other length (which should have the same units).

I usually convert thing to metres at the start though, its good practice in my experience.

What was your final answer?

Sam

ok thanks

my final answer was 37.9866 rad/s

does that sound about right?

:smile: Exactly what I got

thanks for all your help

Anytime,

Glad to help. I joined this forum to get help, but giving help is just as useful to me, boosts my understanding too.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point called the center.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves a continuously changing direction of motion, while linear motion involves a constant direction of motion in a straight line.

3. What is the centripetal force in circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It always acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's velocity and prevent it from moving in a straight line.

4. How is the speed of an object in circular motion related to its radius?

The speed of an object in circular motion is directly proportional to its radius. This means that as the radius increases, the speed of the object also increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion in everyday life include the Earth's rotation around its axis, the moon orbiting around the Earth, a spinning top, and a car driving around a circular track.