1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion questions 2

1. Dec 29, 2011 #1
    2) a particle P of mass m moves in a vertical circle along the smooth inner surface of a fixed hollow sphere of internal radius a and centre O,the plane of the circle passing through O. The particle is projected from the lowest point of the sphere with a horizontal velocity u. when OP makes an angle T with the upward vertical,the velocity of the particle is v and the normal reaction between the particle and the sphere is R.Find expressions for v and R...done
    v=[u^2-2ga(1+cos T)]^1/2 R=mu^2/a - mg(2+3cos T)
    show if u^2,5ga the particle leaves the sphere where

cos T=(u^2-2ga)/3ga
    if the particle leaves the sphere at a point A and its trajectory meets the sphere again at a point B such that AM is a diameter of the sphere show OA makes an angle of 45

from first part i have

cos T=(u^2-2ga)/3ga

v^2=[u^2-2ga(1+cos T)]

so when particle leaves sphere i get v^2=agcosT

now im saying the angle of projection is equal to angle OP makes with upwards vertical,so from P to O we have

horizontal distance=asinT
    vertical distance=acosT

for the projection

x=-tvcosT
    y=tvsinT-gt^2/2

when x=-asinT => t=a(tanT)/v
    so

-acosT=atanTsinT-g/2[(atanT)^2/(v^2)]
    -acosT=atanTsinT-g/2[(atanT)^2/(agcosT)]
    -2=2tan^2T-tan^2Tsec^2T
    -2=tan^2T(2-sec^2T)
    -2=tan^2T(2-1-tan^2T)
    tan^4T-tan^2T-2=0
    (tan^2T-2)(tan^2+1)=0

which is close as im after tan T=1. is there an obvious error in my working?i hoping im on right tracks but have dropped a sign somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2011 #2
    anyone able to spot my error here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook