Circular Motion Experiment: Velocity^2 vs. Radius Analysis

In summary, circular motion radius is the distance between the center of a circle and an object moving in a circular path around that center. It can be calculated using the formula r = v^2/a, where r is the radius, v is the velocity, and a is the centripetal acceleration. The relationship between circular motion radius and velocity is inversely proportional, meaning that as the radius increases, the velocity decreases and vice versa. Circular motion radius cannot be negative as it is a distance measurement. It also directly affects the frequency of circular motion, with a higher radius resulting in a higher frequency and vice versa.
smashingtime

Homework Statement

Hi, I conducted a circular motion experiment--with a rubber bung & string through a plastic tube. I changed the radius of the string every trial, calculated the amount of time for one revolution, and from that derived velocity and velocity^2.

With my data, I graphed Velocity^2 against Radius. I found a linear line of best fit for the graph.
From here, how should I proceed to obtain the formula acceleration = V^2/r?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
a=v^2/r => v^2=a*r

so you need slope of your fit line

Hello, thank you for sharing your circular motion experiment and data with me. It seems like you have already made some good progress in your analysis by graphing Velocity^2 against Radius and finding a linear line of best fit. This is a great start in understanding the relationship between velocity and radius in circular motion.

To obtain the formula for acceleration = V^2/r, you can use the equation for centripetal acceleration, which is a = V^2/r. This equation relates the velocity and radius to the centripetal acceleration, which is the acceleration towards the center of the circle in circular motion.

To confirm that your data supports this equation, you can compare your calculated values for acceleration using the formula a = V^2/r to the actual accelerations you measured during your experiment. If they are close, then your data supports the equation and you can confidently use it in your analysis.

Additionally, you can also look into the concept of angular velocity, which is the rate of change of angular displacement in circular motion. This is related to linear velocity and can help you further understand the relationship between velocity and radius in circular motion.

Overall, it seems like you have a good understanding of your experiment and its results. Keep exploring and analyzing your data, and don't hesitate to consult with your instructor or other resources for further guidance. Good luck!

What is circular motion radius?

Circular motion radius is the distance between the center of a circle and an object moving in a circular path around that center.

How is circular motion radius calculated?

Circular motion radius can be calculated using the formula r = v2/a, where r is the radius, v is the velocity, and a is the centripetal acceleration.

What is the relationship between circular motion radius and velocity?

The circular motion radius and velocity are inversely proportional. This means that as the radius increases, the velocity decreases and vice versa.

Can circular motion radius be negative?

No, circular motion radius cannot be negative as it is a distance measurement and cannot have a negative value.

How does the circular motion radius affect the frequency of circular motion?

The circular motion radius is directly proportional to the frequency of circular motion. This means that as the radius increases, the frequency also increases and vice versa.