How Do You Calculate the Tension in a String During Circular Motion?

In summary, you must show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums. Once your question or problem has been responded to, do not go back and delete (or edit) your original post.
azncocoluver

Homework Statement

A 0.55 kg stone attached to a string is whirled in a horizontal circle of radius 19 cm as in the figure below. The string makes an angle of 35° with the vertical.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
hi azncocoluver! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(oh, and what actually is the question asking for? :redface:)

Haha wow, I totally forgot to put the question.
(a) Find the speed of the stone.
m/s

(b) Find the tension in the string.
N

I have no idea where to start. :[

hi azncocoluver! :smile:

nearly all dynamics questions boil down to good ol' Newton's second law (F = ma) …

so the first step is to draw a diagram with the forces and acceleration labelled,

and the second step is to write out the equation :wink: …​

what do you get? :smile:

Ft = Fg?

where's the acceleration (and the angles)? :redface:

No clue lol.. can you show me the solution because I've never done a problem like this before. I kind of learn better when I see an approach first :]

azncocoluver said:
No clue lol.. can you show me the solution because I've never done a problem like this before. I kind of learn better when I see an approach first :]
That's not the way it works here at Physics Forums.

In case you haven't seen the forum rules (https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=414380), I have copied parts of them that are relevant to your post (emphasis added).
Homework Help:
You MUST show that you have attempted to answer your question in order to receive help. You MUST make use of the homework template, which automatically appears when a new topic is created in the homework help forums. Once your question or problem has been responded to, do not go back and delete (or edit) your original post.

<snip>

On helping with questions: Any and all assistance given to homework assignments or textbook style exercises should be given only after the questioner has shown some effort in solving the problem. If no attempt is made then the questioner should be asked to provide one before any assistance is given. Under no circumstances should complete solutions be provided to a questioner, whether or not an attempt has been made.

1. What is circular motion speed?

Circular motion speed refers to the speed at which an object moves along a circular path. It is the distance travelled by the object divided by the time it takes to complete one full revolution.

2. How is circular motion speed calculated?

Circular motion speed can be calculated by dividing the circumference of the circle (2Πr) by the time it takes to complete one full revolution (T). The formula is v = 2Πr / T.

3. What is the difference between circular motion speed and tangential speed?

Circular motion speed and tangential speed are often used interchangeably, but they are slightly different. Circular motion speed refers to the speed along the circular path, while tangential speed refers to the speed in a straight line tangent to the circle at a specific point.

4. How does the radius affect circular motion speed?

The radius of a circle directly affects the circular motion speed. The larger the radius, the greater the distance the object must travel in one full revolution, resulting in a higher speed. Conversely, a smaller radius will result in a lower circular motion speed.

5. Can circular motion speed change?

Yes, circular motion speed can change. It can change if the radius of the circle changes, or if the object speeds up or slows down. It can also change if the mass of the object changes, as this affects the centripetal force required for circular motion.