What is the tension in a swinging vine with a given mass and velocity?

• Thread starter stressedout09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circular
In summary, Jill, who has a mass of 61 kg, is swinging on a vine that is 6.6 m long. The tension in the vine can be calculated using the equation F=mv^2/r, where F is the tension, m is the mass, v is the velocity, and r is the radius (length of the vine). When Jill is stationary, the tension in the vine is equal to her weight. However, when she is moving with a velocity of 2.6 m/s, there is an additional tension in the vine due to the centripetal force. To calculate the total tension, we need to add the tension due to the centripetal force and the tension due to her weight.
stressedout09

Homework Statement

Jill of the Jungle swings on a vine 6.6 m long. What is the tension in the vine if Jill, whose mass is 61 kg, is moving at 2.6 m/s when the vine is vertical?

Homework Equations

F=mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

F=(61)(2.6^2)/6.6

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When Jill is just hanging on a vine, what is the tension in the vine?
When Jill is moving with a velocity, what additional tension is added to the vine?

rl.bhat said:
When Jill is just hanging on a vine, what is the tension in the vine?
When Jill is moving with a velocity, what additional tension is added to the vine?

I'm sorry I still do not understand how to go about setting up the equation...I tried going over examples in my book for this type of circular motion but there does not seem to be any so I am beyond confused...I know that once I figure it out I will feel completely stupid but for now, I am just stumped. -_-

Total tension = tension due to centripetal force + tension due to weight.

thank you SOOOO much...i'm such an idiot! -_-

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the speed and direction are constantly changing. This type of motion is caused by a centripetal force acting on the object, which pulls it towards the center of the circle.

2. How is circular motion related to tension?

In circular motion, tension refers to the force exerted by a string, rope, or similar object that is keeping an object moving in a circular path. This tension force acts as the centripetal force that keeps the object from flying off in a straight line.

3. What factors affect the tension in circular motion?

The tension in circular motion is affected by the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path. As these factors change, the tension force required to keep the object moving in a circular path also changes.

4. How does tension affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

The tension in circular motion is directly related to the speed of the object. As the speed increases, the tension force required to maintain the circular path also increases. Similarly, if the tension force decreases, the speed of the object will decrease and the object may even break away from the circular path.

5. Can tension be greater than the weight of an object in circular motion?

Yes, it is possible for the tension force to be greater than the weight of the object in circular motion. This can happen when the speed of the object is high and the radius of the circular path is small. In this case, the tension force must be strong enough to counteract the centrifugal force and keep the object moving in a circular path.