What is the Tension in a Vertical Circular Path with Given Parameters?

In summary, the object is swung in a vertical circular path on a string 1.8 m long. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. If the speed at the top of the circle is 5 m/s, the tension in the string when the object is at the top of the circle is 1143 N.
physicsluv

Homework Statement

A 1.62 kg object is swung in a vertical circular
path on a string 1.8 m long.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.
If the speed at the top of the circle is 5 m/s,
what is the tension in the string when the
object is at the top of the circle?
Answer in units of N

Homework Equations

ac=mv^2/r
Fnet=ma

ac= Centripetal acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

Ac=mv^2/2
ac=5^2/1.8
ac=13.89

(1.63kg=.00162g)
Fnet=ma
Ft+Fg=ma
Ft+(9.8*.00162)=13.89(.00162)
Ft=.006624

But that force of tension does not work :(

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the right idea but you have mixed up your units!
The mass is 1.62kg... no need to change it to anything else !

you should keep the mass as 1.63kg
btw 1.63kg is 1630g

Keep everything in kg, m and s

Do you know the answer?

Wow. I feel so stupid. That is like one of the basic parts of physics. I got 6.66488889 which was right. Thanks for your help :)

well done... I got 6.3 but I used g = 10 to make life easy !
A little tip... don't give so many figures in an answer... round it off to 3 figures/

haha! If only it was that easy, we are assigned problems online through UTexas, and so the answer has to be exact to get the question right.

Is this the physics you're taking in college?

that does not matter... the important thing is that you KNOW how to do it:smile:

Nope, normal high school physics.

physicsluv said:
Nope, normal high school physics.

Yea that's what I thought as well because its really simple.

Can someone help me with part 3 of the problem?
For the acceleration I got 10.97670251m/s^2
and for the Net force I got 603.7186381 N

I did
fn-fg=fnet
and got
fn=1142.718638 and it was wrong

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-12-15 at 3.20.41 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-12-15 at 3.20.41 PM.png
    13.1 KB · Views: 466
I got the acceleration to be 10.8... which is close enough to your answer... I do not have a calculator... I am using a slide rule:grumpy::mad::wink:
Do you know what a slide rule is !

technician said:
I got the acceleration to be 10.8... which is close enough to your answer... I do not have a calculator... I am using a slide rule:grumpy::mad::wink:
Do you know what a slide rule is !

Is it a circular slide rule or a normal one?

mtayab1994 said:
Is it a circular slide rule or a normal one?

the acceleration and netforce is correct! and what is the slide rule?

physicsluv said:
the acceleration and netforce is correct! and what is the slide rule?

Uhm.. it's a mechanical analog calculator used for multiplication, division, and also logarithms and roots.

Pluv
What a great question... what is a slide rule... I do have a calculator but the battery has gone flat... useless.
A slide rule is a great device for doing multiplications and divisions... be grateful that you will probably never need to resort to one.

technician said:
Pluv
What a great question... what is a slide rule... I do have a calculator but the battery has gone flat... useless.
A slide rule is a great device for doing multiplications and divisions... be grateful that you will probably never need to resort to one.

Interesting! I am still at a loss as to how to find the force exerted by the pilot :(

At the bottom of the loop the pilot is traveling at 210km/hr = 58.5m/s
Therefore the acceleration at the bottom of the loop = v^2/r = 11m/s^2
From this I got the force on the pilot to be 615N

technician said:
At the bottom of the loop the pilot is traveling at 210km/hr = 58.5m/s
Therefore the acceleration at the bottom of the loop = v^2/r = 11m/s^2
From this I got the force on the pilot to be 615N

Assuming your acceleration figure of 11 is correct [I have no reason to doubt, but I have not calculated it myself] then the force you have calculated is the net force on the pilot [or close to it].

That force is achieved as the sum of two actual forces - gravity and the force from the seat.

Gravity pulls down with a force approaching 550N [if g=10 it is exactly 550 N]

The seat has to push strongly enough that the net force is your 615N up.

Draw some vectors to see what you get [if necessary]

EDIT: I just calculated it without rounding off on the way through and got 1143.3 N

Last edited:
PeterO
You are on the ball... I have made a slip in my calculations of x10
The acceleration at the bottom of the loop is 11m/s^2 which means that...
F-550N = 55 x 11 as the resultant force towards the centre of the circle
This gives F = (55 x 11 ) +550 = 610 + 550 = 1160N as the force on the pilot
... I have just seen your answer of 1143... will double check that I have not made 2 c ups
probably rounding off errors.
Thank you for your response

Last edited:
must replace my 'mechanical analogue calculator' with an electronic calculator... or get used to powers of 10

technician said:
must replace my 'mechanical analogue calculator' with an electronic calculator... or get used to powers of 10

Yep! 55 x 11 = 605

and it should have been slightly less than 11 anyway.

Weight is 550N with g = 10, but you were told g = 9.81.

try 1143.268637993

BitterX said:
try 1143.268637993

Nice numbers, but needs a bit of work to be the answer to this question.

1. What is circular motion in the vertical direction?

Circular motion in the vertical direction is the movement of an object in a circular path along a vertical plane. This type of motion is often seen in rides at amusement parks, such as a Ferris wheel or a carousel.

2. What causes circular motion in the vertical direction?

In circular motion, there are two main forces at play - the centripetal force and the centrifugal force. The centripetal force is responsible for keeping the object in a circular path, while the centrifugal force acts in the opposite direction and tries to pull the object away from its circular path. In the case of circular motion in the vertical direction, the centripetal force is usually provided by tension in a rope or string, while the centrifugal force is the object's weight.

3. How is the speed of an object in circular motion in the vertical direction calculated?

The speed of an object in circular motion in the vertical direction can be calculated using the formula v = √(gr), where v is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula applies to objects moving at a constant speed in a vertical circle.

4. What is the minimum speed required for an object to complete a full circle in circular motion in the vertical direction?

The minimum speed required for an object to complete a full circle in circular motion in the vertical direction is equal to the speed at the top of the circle. This is because at the top, the centripetal force is equal to the object's weight, and any decrease in speed would result in the object falling off its circular path.

5. How does the radius of the circular path affect the object's speed in circular motion in the vertical direction?

The radius of the circular path directly affects the speed of an object in circular motion in the vertical direction. As the radius increases, the speed decreases, and vice versa. This is because the centripetal force required to keep the object in its circular path is directly proportional to the radius - the larger the radius, the larger the force needed, and thus the lower the speed. This is why objects on a Ferris wheel move slower at the top than at the bottom, as the radius is larger at the top.