How to Calculate the Speed of a Pendulum Using Tension and Weight

In summary, the conversation is about a pendulum's speed and the tension in the string. The question involves solving for the speed of the pendulum when the tension is twice the weight of the bob at the bottom of the circular motion. The solution involves finding the centripetal force and setting it equal to the force of gravity. The student believes their solution is correct, but the teacher disagrees. However, the student and other responders in the conversation point out that the teacher may be wrong or the problem may have been worded poorly. Ultimately, the student is unsure of the correctness of their solution.
daniellelok

Homework Statement

this question is about a pendulum's speed. the string is 1.0m long, in which r=1m. it says the tension is twice of the bob's weight when the string is vertical, which means when its at the bottom point of the circular motion.

Homework Equations

since [tex]F_T[/tex] should overcome [tex]F_g[/tex], so [tex]F_c=F_T-F_g[/tex].
here is how i solve this question:
[tex]F_c=F_T-F_g=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]{2F}_g-F_g=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]F_g=\frac{mv^2}{r}[/tex]
[tex]g=\frac{v^2}{r}[/tex]
sub in, then v should be equal to about 3.13m/s

The Attempt at a Solution

i got this answer twice, but the teacher said I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the only thing that matters is the force which keeps it in circular motion: namely, the tension in the string.

So 2mg = mv^2/r.

I believe.

y is there no gravity then?

maybe because at that point its tangential velocity is perpendicular to gravity?

The tension force is what gives the centripetal acceleration, not gravity.

if you draw the freebody diagram, tension up, gravity down. the cetripetal force is up, so tension must overcome gravity in order to give an upward force. so shouldn't it be tension minus gravity to get the net force?

Hmm.. You're right, I forgot that centripetal force comes from a NET force, in your case this is [itex]mg[/itex], I don't know how this is wrong then...

Your teacher is wrong, or the problem has been stated poorly.

oh...really...ok...tthx

Oh no.

Your teacher is wrong. You are right. Your solution is perfectly correct. IF your teacher still insists that you are wrong, come back here to this thread and describe what the teacher thinks is correct.

As a teacher myself, I get very annoyed with other Physics teachers who don't understand physics.

Just a moderation note in case anyone is confused on what happened: the question got posted 3 times, and I've merged all three discussions of it. This puts some of the replies in a strange order.

There is one other option than that the teacher is wrong:

The problem has been worded poorly, so that with "vertical" is meant the direction anti-parallell to the direction of the force of gravity, commonly called "upwards". In this case, the pendulum is making full rotations, rather than just oscillate in the lower half-plane.

arildno said:
There is one other option than that the teacher is wrong:

The problem has been worded poorly, so that with "vertical" is meant the direction anti-parallell to the direction of the force of gravity, commonly called "upwards". In this case, the pendulum is making full rotations, rather than just oscillate in the lower half-plane.
Oh, good call arildno! That might just be the case.

well, i think the teacher is wrong then... coz i asked her wat does vertical mean. yeah, well, the test is over anyways. mayb she just made a careless mistake on my homework...

1. What is circular motion vertically?

Circular motion vertically refers to an object moving in a circular path in a vertical plane, such as a rollercoaster or a Ferris wheel. This type of motion involves both horizontal and vertical components, resulting in a curved path.

2. What causes circular motion vertically?

Circular motion vertically is caused by a combination of centripetal force, which pulls the object towards the center of the circle, and the object's inertia, which causes it to continue moving in a straight line. In the case of a rollercoaster, the track provides the centripetal force, while the inertia of the car and its passengers creates the circular motion.

3. How is circular motion vertically different from circular motion horizontally?

Circular motion vertically and horizontally are similar in that they both involve an object moving in a circular path. However, in circular motion vertically, the object is moving in a vertical plane, while in circular motion horizontally, the object is moving in a horizontal plane. This results in different forces acting on the object and a different path of motion.

4. What is the relationship between speed and velocity in circular motion vertically?

In circular motion vertically, speed and velocity are not the same. Speed refers to the rate at which an object is moving along the circular path, while velocity also takes into account the direction of the object's motion. Since the direction of the object's motion is constantly changing in circular motion vertically, the velocity is also constantly changing.

5. How is circular motion vertically used in real life?

Circular motion vertically is used in many real-life situations, such as amusement park rides, carousels, and satellite orbits. In these cases, the circular motion is used to create a fun and thrilling experience for riders or to maintain a stable orbit for a satellite. It is also used in engineering and physics to study the effects of forces on objects moving in a vertical plane.