1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion w/ gravity

1. Nov 7, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A train has a speed of v = 66.5 km/h. If the acceleration experienced by the passengers is to be less than 0.35 g, (g = 9.81 m/s2), find the smallest radius of curvature R acceptable for the track.

2. Relevant equations
    A=v^2/r
    a=(mv^2)/r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried putting 10.16 m/s^2 (added 9.81 + .35) for the acceleration and 18.4722 m/s for the velocity and putting it in the first equation to get 33.5848 m, however, this answer is close but not correct... I think the problem is, I don't understand what to do with the gravity? Is their another equation I am suppost to use or what? or am I only suppost to use .35 m/s/s as my acceleration? Please help, I cannot find any other simular examples in the text; the text only has examples involving tension and mass.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2007 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That 0.35 is a unitless scale factor. You can't add it to 9.81 m/s^2. The problem says "0.35 g" which means "0.35 * g", not "0.35 + g". Multiply!

Carrying out this multiplication will give you the limit on the tolerable centripetal acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?