Banking Angle Calculation for Highway Curve with Given Velocity and Radius

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the angle needed to bank a highway curve with a given velocity of 100 km/hr and radius of 300m. The solution involves converting units and using the tangent function to find the angle, with the equation \tan\theta=\frac{v^2}{rg}. The conversation also mentions using a freebody diagram and Newton's 2nd law to solve the problem.
daniellelok

Homework Statement

the question is to find the angle that should be banked on a highway curve. the velocity is given, which is 100km/hr and the radius is 300m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i need to convert the units first, but then i don't know what to do... to find the angle, i need to use tangent to find it, or is it?? if yes, i don't know how...
please help...tmr is the physics final...thx a lot~~XDXD

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't remember if you end up getting a tangent or not, though you will probably end up with tan or cot. If you draw a careful freebody diagram, and use Newton's 2nd law properly then you can get through this problem.

the equation i got is that [tex]\tan\theta=\frac{v^2}{rg}[/tex]. i don't know how i got this equation, but it did give me a right answer. can u help explain it?

Last edited:
I think you end up with mgsin0 = mv^2/r
0 = theta

if you draw a freebody diagram you should see that it is that component which creates circular motion. if I'm wrong i apologize but I'm 85% sure. :P

no...it should be tan, coz i got the right answer from my equation. i just don't understand how i can get the equation on #3

i think it depends on where you're counting the angle from.

draw a freebody diagram of the vehicle on the banked turn, the perpendicular component to the car's motion is the Fc. you can write it in terms of Fg and an angle.

Where did you get the equation in post 3 from then? What concepts should you use for this question? From these concepts can you attempt to derive the equation?

1. What is circular motion with an angle?

Circular motion with an angle refers to the movement of an object in a circular path at a constant speed, but with an added angle component. This means that the object is not only moving in a circle, but also changing its direction as it moves.

2. What causes an object to move in circular motion with an angle?

An object moves in circular motion with an angle due to the presence of a centripetal force. This force acts towards the center of the circle, causing the object to continuously change its direction and maintain its circular path.

3. How is the angle component of circular motion calculated?

The angle component of circular motion can be calculated using trigonometry. The angle is equal to the arc length divided by the radius of the circle, or θ = s/r. Alternatively, if the angular velocity (ω) and time (t) are known, the angle can be calculated using θ = ωt.

4. What is the relationship between the angle and the speed of an object in circular motion?

The angle and the speed of an object in circular motion are inversely proportional. This means that as the angle increases, the speed of the object decreases and vice versa. This relationship is due to the fact that the radius of the circle remains constant, so as the angle increases, the arc length also increases, resulting in a longer distance to cover in the same amount of time.

5. How does circular motion with an angle affect the acceleration of an object?

Circular motion with an angle affects the acceleration of an object by changing its direction. Even though the speed of the object may remain constant, the direction of its velocity is constantly changing, resulting in a non-zero acceleration. This acceleration is always directed towards the center of the circle and is known as centripetal acceleration.