1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion with friction

1. Dec 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A particle of mass m moves in a horizontal circle of radius R on a rough table. It is attached to a horizontal string fixed at the center of the circle. The speed of the particle is initially v0. After completing one full trip around the circle, the speed of the particle is v0/2.

a) Find the energy dissipated by friction during one revolution in terms of m, v0, and R.

b) What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

c) How many revolutions will the particle make before coming to rest?

d) Suppose the experiment is repeated with one slight modification: the initial speed of the particle is doubled. How many revolutions does the particle make in this case?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I need some help withthe friction part

.5Iwo2 = .5Iw2 - Friction energy

is the friction energy F = umg

.5Iwo2 = .5Iw2 - umg

Attached Files:

• 7.pdf
      7.pdf
      File size:
      5.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

umg would be the force. Work done is W=Fd.

4. Dec 7, 2009 #3
    part a)

so the energy would be .5Iwo2 = 1/8Iwo2 + Wfriction... at one rotation it is half the velocity

Wf = 3/8Iwo2

is this the energy dissipated

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  5. Dec 7, 2009 #4
    and for part b i use umgRQ. where Q is theta in radians as the Work of friction

and then i would solve it for u.

and part c i just solve for RQ

part d i would just double initial velocity and solve for RQ again

should i be solveing for RQ because of the distance it travels around teh circle, or should the answer be in simply Q in radians

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook