1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion

1. Jan 25, 2006 #1
    What I'm doing seems like it should work, but I can't seem to get it right. I'm sure I'm doing the math right, but I have a feeling I'm answering something that's not being asked. I would just like some help on setting up the equation right.

A car starts from rest on a flat circular track of radius 200.1 m and accelerates tangentially at a rate of 4.79 m/s2. How much time elapses before the centripetal acceleration of the car is equal in magnitude to the tangential acceleration.

I have the tangential acceleration (at), and radius (r).
    Using the centripetal acceleration equation ac=v2/r, I set ac=4.79 m/s2, r=200.1m, and solve for the velocity.

I then use the circular motion period equation (v=(2*pi*r)/t), plug in the velocity I just calculated, the radius of the track, and solve for time.

I get 40.61s everytime, which is incorrect.

vv I got it now. Thanks for saving my hair.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2006 #2
    that's not the right equation; you should be using kinematics/rotational kinematics to find the time that it accelerates. The T in that equation is for period.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?