Can't Seem To Get It Right: Solving Centripetal Acceleration Equation

In summary, To find the time it takes for a car to accelerate to equal centripetal and tangential acceleration on a circular track, you need to use the centripetal acceleration equation and the circular motion period equation. However, to get the correct answer, you should be using kinematics or rotational kinematics to find the time it takes to accelerate. The T in the circular motion period equation is not for time, but for period.
scavok
What I'm doing seems like it should work, but I can't seem to get it right. I'm sure I'm doing the math right, but I have a feeling I'm answering something that's not being asked. I would just like some help on setting up the equation right.

A car starts from rest on a flat circular track of radius 200.1 m and accelerates tangentially at a rate of 4.79 m/s2. How much time elapses before the centripetal acceleration of the car is equal in magnitude to the tangential acceleration.

I have the tangential acceleration (at), and radius (r).
Using the centripetal acceleration equation ac=v2/r, I set ac=4.79 m/s2, r=200.1m, and solve for the velocity.

I then use the circular motion period equation (v=(2*pi*r)/t), plug in the velocity I just calculated, the radius of the track, and solve for time.

I get 40.61s everytime, which is incorrect.

vv I got it now. Thanks for saving my hair.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
that's not the right equation; you should be using kinematics/rotational kinematics to find the time that it accelerates. The T in that equation is for period.

As a scientist, it is important to double check your calculations and equations to ensure accuracy. It is possible that there may have been a mistake in the calculation or an incorrect assumption made. It is also important to make sure that the equations being used are appropriate for the problem at hand. In this case, it seems like the equations being used were correct, but there may have been a mistake in the calculations. It is also helpful to have someone else review your work to catch any errors that may have been overlooked. Overall, it is important to approach problem solving with a critical and analytical mindset to ensure the most accurate results.

1. What is the centripetal acceleration equation?

The centripetal acceleration equation is a formula that calculates the acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. It is represented as a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

2. How is the centripetal acceleration equation derived?

The centripetal acceleration equation is derived from the fundamental principles of circular motion, specifically Newton's Second Law of Motion (F = ma) and the definition of centripetal force (F = mv²/r). By equating these two equations and solving for acceleration, the centripetal acceleration equation is obtained.

3. What are the units of measurement for the variables in the centripetal acceleration equation?

The units of measurement for the variables in the centripetal acceleration equation depend on the system of units being used. In the SI (International System of Units), the units are meters per second squared (m/s²) for acceleration, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and meters (m) for radius. In the imperial system, the units are feet per second squared (ft/s²) for acceleration, feet per second (ft/s) for velocity, and feet (ft) for radius.

4. Can the centripetal acceleration equation be applied to non-circular motion?

No, the centripetal acceleration equation is specifically for objects moving in a circular path. If the motion is not circular, other equations, such as the general acceleration equation (a = Δv/Δt), must be used to calculate acceleration.

5. How can the centripetal acceleration equation be useful in real-world applications?

The centripetal acceleration equation is useful in a variety of real-world applications, including analyzing the motion of objects in circular motion such as roller coasters, satellite orbits, and car turns. It is also used in engineering and design to ensure the safety and stability of structures and machines that involve circular motion.