Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Circular motion

1. Feb 5, 2004 #1
    The question is :
    A car travel in a flat circle of radius R. At a certain instant the velocity of the car is 18 m/s west and the total acceleration of the car is 2 m/s2 at 46 degrees north of west. What is R?

I simply used a = v2/R and obtained 162 m. I suspected the question should be more complicated than I thought. Can anyone help. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2004 #2
    The formula u applied is for an so u have to take the component which is in the direction of radius or it shoul be radial component of acceleration. and velocity should be the tangential velocity

Last edited: Feb 5, 2004
  4. Feb 5, 2004 #3
    thanks, maybe more info needed

I took cos(46) of 2 m/s2 and used for the formula. It's not the correct answer. Do I need to figure out the linear speed? (apparently it is not 18 m/s)?
    Thanks alot.

5. Feb 5, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: thanks, maybe more info needed

The linear speed is 18 m/s, nothing wrong with that.

Draw a picture of what's happening and you will see that you took the component of the acceleration incorrectly.

6. Feb 5, 2004 #5
    should be sin instead of cos

I guess I've mistaken the direction 46 degrees north of west as west of north. I have just tried again and it worked. Thanks alot.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook