1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion

1. Nov 18, 2006 #1
    a bucket of water is tied to a string and spun in a circle, why don’t the water spill out?can somebody help me explain detailly?

thx a lot
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 18, 2006 #2
    If the bucket is going fast enough, the water will stay in a circle. What equations do you know?
  4. Nov 18, 2006 #3
    Try thinking about the forces acting on the water (and the bucket) while the bucket is at the top and bottom of the circle. Draw a free body diagram or two, it should help you out a bit.

Hope that helps,
  5. Dec 19, 2006 #4

Hi, i just thought i would add a question to this, its not for my homework, but more for my own knowledge

how can you explain why the water stays in the bucket without using the centrifugal force? i understand the centripetal force pulling inwards, the gravitational force downwards, there is some tension on the rope, but i just need the final bit...?
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?