Calculating Moon's Acceleration in Circular Motion Relative to Sun

In summary, the moon can be considered to be traveling in a circle centred at the Earth and the Earth can be considered to be traveling in a circle centred at the sun. The moon experiences an acceleration due to the force of gravity from the Earth and the sun. Based on the information given in the problem, I assume you are studying centripetal motion and are expected to use that in your calculations.
robgazza

Homework Statement

to a good approximation, the moon can be considered to be traveling in a circle centred at the Earth and the Earth can be considered to be traveling in a circle centred at the sun. determine the magnitude of the moons acceleration relative to the sun
a)when the moon is between the Earth and the sun
b)when the Earth is between the moon and sun

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

hello & greetings all

i am very stuck in the problem above

may i ask, to find the required answer do i need to use the equation -gmM/r^2 and work out the effective gravitational pull or is it circular motion?

i am very stuck and any help would be muchly appreciated :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Gravity is the force producing the accelerations, but to find their individual magnitudes you just need the orbital periods and orbit radii.

OlderDan said:
Gravity is the force producing the accelerations, but to find their individual magnitudes you just need the orbital periods and orbit radii.
so for example, a) i would need to work out the pull from the sun and subtract the pull from the Earth to give its velocity?

robgazza said:
so for example, a) i would need to work out the pull from the sun and subtract the pull from the Earth to give its velocity?

Based on the information given in the problem, I assume you are studying centripetal motion and are expected to use that in your calculations. The velocities can be determined from the orbital periods and radii, and that can be related to the acceleration. What is the connection between velocity and acceleration for circular motion?

Another approach to the problem would be to calculate the forces from the universal gravition law and use Newton's second law to find the acceleration. This might even be easier to do than using centripetal motion considerations, but I doubt that is what the problem intended.

im not sure, calculate the forces from the universal graviton law and use Newton's second law to find the acceleration is correct, how would i do this?

robgazza said:
im not sure, calculate the forces from the universal graviton law and use Newton's second law to find the acceleration is correct, how would i do this?

You would look up the distance from the Earth to the moon and from the sun to Earth and figure out how far the moon is from the sun at the two locations. Then use the F = GMm/r² you quoted in your orignal post to find the net force by appropriately combining the two forces acting on the moon. Once you have the net force (magnitude and direction) calculate the acceleration from Newton 2.

What Is Centripetal Force? and its uses.

Sanket R Berde said:
What Is Centripetal Force? and its uses.

Is this a homework question? If so, we cannot simply give you the answers! Try searching on wikipedia.org, or google, then if you have any specific points you are unsure of, post back and we will be happy to help!

1. How do you calculate the Moon's acceleration in circular motion relative to the Sun?

To calculate the Moon's acceleration in circular motion relative to the Sun, you can use the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the distance from the Sun to the Moon.

2. What is the velocity of the Moon in its circular orbit around the Sun?

The velocity of the Moon in its circular orbit around the Sun can be calculated using the formula v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Sun, and r is the distance from the Sun to the Moon.

3. How does the Moon's acceleration change as it orbits around the Sun?

The Moon's acceleration remains constant as it orbits around the Sun in a circular motion, as long as there are no external forces acting on it.

4. What factors affect the Moon's acceleration in circular motion relative to the Sun?

The Moon's acceleration in circular motion relative to the Sun is affected by the mass of the Sun, the distance between the Sun and the Moon, and any external forces acting on the Moon, such as the Earth's gravitational pull.

5. How does the Earth's gravitational pull affect the Moon's acceleration in circular motion relative to the Sun?

The Earth's gravitational pull can affect the Moon's acceleration in circular motion relative to the Sun by creating tidal forces, which can slightly alter the Moon's orbit and therefore its acceleration. However, the effect is relatively small and the Moon's acceleration remains primarily determined by the Sun's gravitational pull.