Measuring Force on a Spinning Ball: Simple Physics

In summary, if you want to measure the tension in a string while it is spinning, you can use a spring, a sliding potentiometer, a multimeter, and an oscilloscope or electric graph. If you want to compare the tension in different places on the string, you can use the formula F=ma.
freswood
If I wanted to prove that whilst spinning a ball attached by a string in a circle, that:

F = 4 * pi^2 * r / T^2

Where F = force from tension
r = radius
T = period of one rotation

Ie. Proving that:
F is directly proportional to r
F is directly proportional to m
F is direction proportional to T^-2

How would I measure the force on the string? This is just school physics, so I can't do anything fancy. It'll probably just be someone spinning it in circles above them. The other variables are easy enough, but I need to be able to compare them to force. The only thing I thought of was using the formula F=ma, but the problem is the acceleration is constantly changing so can't be measured.

Physics news on Phys.org
A spring would be sufficient.
Just measure the amount it is extended while you swig the weight and how much it extends per amount of force.

What kind of equipment does your school have?
With a spring, a sliding potentiometer, a multimeter, an oscilloscope or an electric graph you could put together a simple measuring/recording rig.
(extra credit! :wink: )

jeroen said:
A spring would be sufficient.
Just measure the amount it is extended while you swig the weight and how much it extends per amount of force.

What kind of equipment does your school have?
With a spring, a sliding potentiometer, a multimeter, an oscilloscope or an electric graph you could put together a simple measuring/recording rig.
(extra credit! :wink: )

Now that I think about it, the teacher mentioned something about the tension being caused by this metal ball at the end of the string. When you spin the string, you actually hold on to this bit of hollow plastic that goes around the string. It's hard to describe, so here's an image.

physprac.gif

Is there some relationship between F of the bit of the string going in a circular motion, and mg of the weight at the bottom?

Assuming the thread is not attached to the tube, definately!

The weight will pull the thread one way while the ball will pull it the other way.
If either of them pulls harder then the thread will move that way.

You can use the lower ball to tell if the ball has more, less or the same amount of force as the weight.

Great, I'm starting to get somewhere in my understanding of this. So is mg of the lower weight equal to the vertical component of the tension in the string? I need to be able to find out the overall force in the string while it's on an angle.

Be careful here. The ball that is traveling in circular motion also has the force of gravity acting on it.

*edit* sorry just saw that you are thinking about the angle. Draw a free body diagram.

1. How is force measured on a spinning ball?

Force on a spinning ball can be measured using a device called a dynamometer, which measures the force exerted on an object by converting it into a numerical value.

2. What is the physics behind measuring force on a spinning ball?

The physics behind measuring force on a spinning ball involves understanding the principles of angular motion and how they apply to the ball's rotation. This includes factors such as the ball's mass, velocity, and radius of rotation.

3. What are some real-world applications of measuring force on a spinning ball?

Measuring force on a spinning ball has real-world applications in sports such as golf, tennis, and baseball, where understanding the force and spin of the ball can help improve performance. It also has applications in industries such as aerospace, where measuring the force on spinning objects is crucial for designing and testing aircraft components.

4. How does the angle of rotation affect the force on a spinning ball?

The angle of rotation affects the force on a spinning ball through the principle of centrifugal force. As the ball spins, the centrifugal force increases with the angle of rotation, resulting in a higher force being exerted on the ball.

5. Can force on a spinning ball be measured without a dynamometer?

Yes, force on a spinning ball can also be measured indirectly using equations and calculations based on the ball's mass, velocity, and radius of rotation. However, a dynamometer provides a more accurate and direct measurement of force.