1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion

1. May 1, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

A 40kg gymnast is swinging on a horizontal bar. Her center of mass is 1.2m from the bar, and right at the top of the circle she is travelling in, her body has a speed of 1m/s.

What force must she hold onto the bar with right at the bottom of the swing if she is to continue swinging?

Well first thing i did was calculate the mechanical energy in the system right at the top of the swing.

[tex]
    \begin{array}{c}
    E_M = E_k + E_p \\
    = \frac{{mv^2 }}{2} + mgh \\
    = 980J \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Since energy is conserved, i used this to calculate the tangental velocity at the bottom of the swing.

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    980 = 20v^2 \\
    v = 7ms^{ - 1} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Using this, i can calculate the centripetal force (net force).

[tex]
    \begin{array}{c}
    F_c = \frac{{mv^2 }}{r} \\
    = 1633.\overline {33} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

At the bottom of the swing, the force she holds on with and the weight force act in opposite directions, and i can say that:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{c}
    \sum F = F - mg \\
    F = \sum F + mg \\
    = 2033.\overline {33} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

The answer the book gives is different however. Im not really sure what i have done wrong. Any help?

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2
    The total energy is off by 20J.

4. May 1, 2007 #3

danago

Gold Member

If i use g=9.8ms-2, i get a total energy of 960.8J, but the book is using g=10. Is that the 20J difference youre talking about? Or have i missed something else?

5. May 2, 2007 #4

danago

Gold Member

anyone have any input?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?