Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Circular Motion

1. May 1, 2007 #1

danago

Gold Member

A 40kg gymnast is swinging on a horizontal bar. Her center of mass is 1.2m from the bar, and right at the top of the circle she is travelling in, her body has a speed of 1m/s.

What force must she hold onto the bar with right at the bottom of the swing if she is to continue swinging?

Well first thing i did was calculate the mechanical energy in the system right at the top of the swing.

[tex]
    \begin{array}{c}
    E_M = E_k + E_p \\
    = \frac{{mv^2 }}{2} + mgh \\
    = 980J \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Since energy is conserved, i used this to calculate the tangental velocity at the bottom of the swing.

[tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    980 = 20v^2 \\
    v = 7ms^{ - 1} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Using this, i can calculate the centripetal force (net force).

[tex]
    \begin{array}{c}
    F_c = \frac{{mv^2 }}{r} \\
    = 1633.\overline {33} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

At the bottom of the swing, the force she holds on with and the weight force act in opposite directions, and i can say that:

[tex]
    \begin{array}{c}
    \sum F = F - mg \\
    F = \sum F + mg \\
    = 2033.\overline {33} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

The answer the book gives is different however. Im not really sure what i have done wrong. Any help?

Thanks,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2007 #2
    The total energy is off by 20J.

4. May 1, 2007 #3

danago

Gold Member

If i use g=9.8ms-2, i get a total energy of 960.8J, but the book is using g=10. Is that the 20J difference youre talking about? Or have i missed something else?

5. May 2, 2007 #4

danago

Gold Member

anyone have any input?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook