Calculating Acceleration for Circular Motion

You need to know the initial velocity and the time elapsed in order to use the kinematic equations to solve for the final velocity. And once you have the final velocity, you can use it to calculate the tangential acceleration.
steven10137

Homework Statement

A particle starts from rest at t=0s.
It moves along a circular path of radius 18m and has an acceleration component along its path of 6.7m/s^2.
What is the magnitude of the acceleration when t=2s

Homework Equations

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\left| a \right| = \sqrt {a_n ^2 + a_t ^2 } \\
a_n = \frac{{v^2 }}{p} \\
v = \frac{{2\pi r}}{T} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The particle is acting in circular motion, hence:
[tex]v = \frac{{2\pi r}}{T} = \frac{{2\pi \left( {18} \right)}}{2} = 18\pi \;ms^{ - 1} [/tex]

The normal component of acceleration is then given by:
[tex]a_n = \frac{{v^2 }}{p} = \frac{{\left( {18\pi } \right)^2 }}{{18}} = \frac{{18^2 .\pi ^2 }}{{18}} = 18\pi ^2 \;ms^{ - 2} [/tex]

Then I can find the magnitude of the total acceleration:
[tex]\left| a \right| = \sqrt {a_n ^2 + a_t ^2 } = \sqrt {\left[ {18\pi ^2 } \right]^2 + 6.7^2 } \approx 178ms^{ - 2} [/tex]

Look OK? My first response would be that the figure seems quite high...

Physics news on Phys.org
steven10137 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

The particle is acting in circular motion, hence:
[tex]v = \frac{{2\pi r}}{T} = \frac{{2\pi \left( {18} \right)}}{2} = 18\pi \;ms^{ - 1} [/tex]
That's an equation for uniform circular motion where T is the period of the motion. Not relevant here.

Instead, use kinematics to calculate the tangential speed of the particle at the end of 2 seconds.

OK thanks, I thought this might have been where I went wrong.

How about?

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
a_t = \frac{{dv}}{{dt}} \Rightarrow dv = a_t .dt \\
\int {dv} = \int {a_t .dt} \Rightarrow v = \int\limits_0^2 {a_t .dt} = \int\limits_0^2 {6.7.dt} = \left[ {6.7t} \right]_0^2 = 13.4\,ms^{ - 1} \\
a_n = \frac{{v^2 }}{r} = \frac{{13.4^2 }}{{18}} = 9.98\;ms^{ - 2} \\
\left| a \right| = \sqrt {a_t ^2 + a_n ^2 } = \sqrt {6.7^2 + 9.98^2 } = 12.0167\;ms^{ - 2} \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Cheers.

Much better. :approve:

ok thanks :)

Just to confirm my understanding of this, the tangential acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity, in the 't' direction, yeah?
There is no other way to calculate this than to use kinematics?

steven10137 said:
Just to confirm my understanding of this, the tangential acceleration is defined as the rate of change of velocity, in the 't' direction, yeah?
Right.
There is no other way to calculate this than to use kinematics?
Not sure what you mean.

Well I was just curious as to whether or not there was another way to get the same result.

steven10137 said:
Well I was just curious as to whether or not there was another way to get the same result.
Not that I can see.

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration in circular motion?

The formula for calculating acceleration in circular motion is a = v2/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

2. How do you find the velocity in circular motion?

The velocity in circular motion can be found using the formula v = 2πr/t, where v is the velocity, r is the radius, and t is the time taken to complete one full revolution.

3. What is the difference between tangential and centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the change in the magnitude of velocity along the tangent to the circular path, while centripetal acceleration is the change in the direction of velocity towards the center of the circle. Tangential acceleration is responsible for the change in speed, while centripetal acceleration is responsible for the change in direction.

4. Can the acceleration in circular motion ever be zero?

Yes, the acceleration in circular motion can be zero when the velocity is constant. This occurs when the centripetal force is balanced by the centrifugal force, and the object moves at a constant speed along the circular path.

5. How can we determine the direction of acceleration in circular motion?

The direction of acceleration in circular motion is always towards the center of the circle. This is because the velocity of the object is constantly changing, and the direction of its acceleration is always perpendicular to its velocity vector.