• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Circular Motion

• Thread starter liz777
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A ball has a radius of 2.25 m. What is the slowest speed of the ball at the bottom which will just make it around at the top of the path?

The Attempt at a Solution

I dont even know where to start with this problem. I dont understand it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Answers and Replies

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I dont even know where to start with this problem. I dont understand it.
Neither do I, because you didn't type in the entire problem statement. I'm guessing that the ball is tethered to a rope of radius 2.25 m, but that's just a guess. Please type in the problem statement exactly as it appears on your assignment.

oh sorry...here it is:

When one spins a ball in a circular path which has a radius of 2.25 m, what is the slowest speed of the ball at the bottom which will just make it around at the top of the path?

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You should begin by drawing a free body diagram of the ball at the top of its path. Then write down Newton's second law for the ball at that point. That's how you start all dynamics problems at this level.

ok, I drew a diagram and I think I understand. Gravity pulls down on the ball, which is the acceleration so:
v^2=gr
=(9.8)(2.25)

Is this correct?

Tom Mattson
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Right, just remember to take the square root. You found [itex]v^2[/itex], not [itex]v[/itex].

ok, thank you! :) I understand it.