Calculating Load on Pilot in Horizontal Curve Flight

In summary, to find the load of the pilot on the seat while flying through a horizontal curve at a speed of 250km/h, the formula used is the resultant force of the centrifugal force (mv^2/r) and the weight of the pilot (mg). These two forces are perpendicular to each other and when added together, the total magnitude of the force is the load of the pilot on the seat. The correct calculation for this would be the square root of [(67*69.44^2/700)^2 + (67*9.8)^2]^1/2
Miri

Homework Statement

An airplane flies through a horizontal curve at a speed of 250km/h (69.44m/s). Radius=0.7km or 700m
Find the load of the pilot on the seat if her mass is 67kg.

Homework Equations

centripetal acceleration=v^2/r
and then the solution times the mass of the pilot, but this gives me the wrong result. The result should be 0.80kN

Physics news on Phys.org
You've got the horizontal component of the force the captain exerts on the seat because of the rotation. There is also a vertical component of force due to the captains weight. I think you are supposed to add those two vectors and find the total magnitude of the force.

I don't get what you mean...Can you tell me the formulas which I have to use? What do you mean by the two components? The first one is the mass and the second one the radius or what? Thanks

When the car takes a turn you are thrown in the outward direction due to centrifugal force. Its magnitude is mv^2/r. Similarly the pilot experiences the centrifugal force which is horizontal and away from the center of the curved path. The weight of the pilot mg acts in the downward direction. The resultant of these two forces will be total load of the pilot on the seat.

so you mean that mv^2/r + mg=0.80kN ? But that's wrong...i'm sorry, but I just don't get it...

Miri said:
so you mean that mv^2/r + mg=0.80kN ? But that's wrong...i'm sorry, but I just don't get it...

mv^2/r and mg are perpendicular to each other. Therefore resultant force = sqrt[ (mv^2/r)^2 + (mg)^2]^1/2

1. How do you calculate the load on a pilot during horizontal curve flight?

The load on a pilot during horizontal curve flight can be calculated using the formula: Load = mass x (velocity^2 / radius of curve). This formula takes into account the mass of the aircraft, the speed at which it is flying, and the radius of the curve it is navigating.

2. What factors influence the load on a pilot during horizontal curve flight?

The load on a pilot during horizontal curve flight is influenced by several factors, including the aircraft's speed, mass, and the angle of the turn. Other factors such as turbulence, wind, and G-forces can also impact the load on the pilot.

3. How does the load on a pilot affect the aircraft's performance during horizontal curve flight?

The load on a pilot can significantly affect the aircraft's performance during horizontal curve flight. If the load is too high, it can cause the aircraft to stall or lose control. It can also put excessive stress on the aircraft's structure, potentially leading to damage or failure.

4. How can pilots manage the load during horizontal curve flight?

Pilots can manage the load during horizontal curve flight by adjusting their speed, controlling the angle of the turn, and using proper flight techniques. They can also use autopilot systems or rely on flight instruments to help maintain a safe load on the aircraft.

5. What is the maximum load a pilot can safely handle during horizontal curve flight?

The maximum load a pilot can safely handle during horizontal curve flight depends on several factors, including the pilot's physical condition, the aircraft's capabilities, and the flight conditions. Generally, pilots should aim to keep the load below 2-3 Gs to avoid excessive stress on the body and aircraft.