Troubleshooting a Physics Calculation: Identifying the Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a mass sliding inside a hoop with no friction. The person is trying to calculate the force with which the mass pushes on the hoop when it is at a certain angle. They mention using energy conservation and getting a wrong answer, but do not see a problem with their calculations.
zhenyazh
hi,
could some one please explain where i am wrong?

A mass M of 5.80E-1 kg slides inside a hoop of radius R=1.50 m with negligible friction. When M is at the top, it has a speed of 4.43 m/s. Calculate the size of the force with which the M pushes on the hoop when M is at an angle of 46.0°.

i guess what i need to find is the difference between the perpendicular to the hoop component of mg and the centr. force. the centr. force needs the v in that point
which i can find using energy conservation.
i get the wrong answer. i think i am not wrong calculating. maybe what i am asked is not
what i end up calculating

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see a problem with your solution here. Showing the calculations helps to help you.

1. What are the possible sources of error in a physics calculation?

There are several potential sources of error in a physics calculation, including errors in measurement or data collection, limitations of the measuring equipment, human error in data entry or calculation, and failure to account for all relevant variables.

2. How can I identify the source of error in my physics calculation?

To identify the source of error in a physics calculation, you should carefully review your data, equations, and methodology. Check for any discrepancies or mistakes in your data and make sure you have accounted for all relevant variables. If necessary, repeat the calculation with different methods or equipment to see if the results are consistent.

3. What steps should I take to troubleshoot a physics calculation?

The first step in troubleshooting a physics calculation is to carefully review your data and methodology to identify any potential sources of error. Next, try repeating the calculation with different methods or equipment to see if the results are consistent. If the error persists, seek assistance from a colleague or consult additional resources.

4. How can I prevent errors in future physics calculations?

To prevent errors in future physics calculations, it is important to be careful and thorough in your data collection and analysis. Double-check your data and calculations, and make sure to account for all relevant variables. Additionally, it can be helpful to seek feedback from colleagues or consult additional resources to ensure the accuracy of your work.

5. Can errors in physics calculations have serious consequences?

Yes, errors in physics calculations can have serious consequences, especially in fields such as engineering or medicine where precise calculations are crucial. A small error can lead to significant discrepancies in results and potentially impact the outcome of a project or experiment. Therefore, it is important to carefully troubleshoot and prevent errors in physics calculations.