Velocity Vectors in Circular Motion: Understanding Acceleration

In summary, Peter G. was drawing the velocity vectors in circular motion to show that, the difference between them would yield an acceleration with direction towards the center of the circle. The problem he is having though is understanding from which point that accelerating takes place. He gets the average acceleration between A and B, but not the acceleration in the middle. In the limit as A and B are arbitrarily close, he'll get the instantaneous acceleration.
Peter G.
Hi,

I was drawing the velocity vectors in circular motion to show that, the difference between them would yield an acceleration with direction towards the center of the circle. The problem I am having though is understanding from which point that accelerating takes place. I.e:

A ball moves from point A to B.

I do the vector subtraction and get my change in velocity, my acceleration. Is that acceleration the acceleration at A, at B or at halfway through?

Thanks,
Peter G.

Oh, and also:

I learned from a website that, in circular motion:

Speed = Distance / Time, therefore, Speed = 2πr / t

But the book says the Velocity is equal to 2πr / t, which, applying the same logic as the website did, makes no sense, since, in one time period, the displacement would be 0, not 2πr...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
When going from A to B, subtracting the displacements (and dividing by time) will give you the average velocity. Which of course is zero for the round trip. Using the distance traveled will give you the average speed. (Sometimes, velocity as speed are used interchangeably... just to confuse you!)

Similarly, subtracting the velocities (and dividing by time) will give you the average acceleration. What you probably want is the instantaneous acceleration, which will be the limit as A and B get closer.

Ok, so,

in the case of the equation: Speed = Distance / Time to yield: 2πr / t, I can use velocity and speed interchangeably?

And, I'm not sure if I got this. So, the resultant in my attachment (the difference between the velocity vectors) are my average acceleration between A and B? Like, if I got the length of the arc length between A and B and halved it, the acceleration I got would be there? (It seems to make sense, because, if I do so, my resultant points to the center of the circle)

Attachments

• Physics.jpg
    Physics.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 346
Peter G. said:
Ok, so,

in the case of the equation: Speed = Distance / Time to yield: 2πr / t, I can use velocity and speed interchangeably?
That equation will give you the speed, which will be the magnitude of the instantaneous velocity. (Assuming uniform circular motion--constant speed.)

And, I'm not sure if I got this. So, the resultant in my attachment (the difference between the velocity vectors) are my average acceleration between A and B? Like, if I got the length of the arc length between A and B and halved it, the acceleration I got would be there? (It seems to make sense, because, if I do so, my resultant points to the center of the circle)
That would give you the average acceleration between those points, but not the acceleration in the middle. In the limit as A and B are arbitrarily close, you'll get the instantaneous acceleration. (Which will point towards the center.)

Ok, got it thanks! I used to kind of ignore the "infinitesimally small..." descriptions the books give but I have just recognized how they are important! Stupid me :redface:

1. What is a velocity vector in circular motion?

A velocity vector in circular motion is a mathematical representation of the speed and direction of an object moving along a circular path. It includes both the magnitude (speed) and direction of the object's motion at a specific point in time.

2. How is acceleration related to velocity vectors in circular motion?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity vector. In circular motion, this means that the acceleration vector is constantly changing as the object moves along the circular path. The direction of the acceleration vector is always towards the center of the circle, and its magnitude is determined by the object's speed and the radius of the circle.

3. How can we calculate the acceleration of an object in circular motion?

The acceleration of an object in circular motion can be calculated using the formula a = v²/r, where a is the acceleration, v is the speed of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object towards the center of a circular path. It is always perpendicular to the velocity vector and is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path. In other words, it is the component of acceleration that changes the direction of an object's motion in circular motion.

5. How does the direction of the velocity vector change in circular motion?

In circular motion, the direction of the velocity vector is constantly changing as the object moves along the circular path. This is because the object is always changing its direction of motion, even if its speed remains constant. The velocity vector is always tangent to the circular path at any given point, meaning it is perpendicular to the direction of the centripetal acceleration.