1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Part A : A 0.5 Kg ball is attached to a cord 80 cm long. The ball is whirled in a vertical circle at a constant speed. If the ball takes 0.4 seconds to go around once, what is the tension in the cord at the top and bottom of the circle?

Part B How long does it take for the ball to go around once if the tension in the cord at the top of the circle is zero?

2. Relevant equations

v=2Pi*R/T
    T=m(g+v^2/r) (bottom of the circle)
    T=m(g-v^2/r) (top of the circle)

3. The attempt at a solution

For part A i used both of the circular motion formulas to fin the tension and i got totally different answers from what it suppose to be for top and bottom. Top it suppose to be 93.8N and bottom it suppose to be 104 N i got 92.7N top and 102.7 N bottom. ( I do not know if the answer is a print error).

For part B I tried to use v=2Pi*R/T to get the time and i keep getting the same time in part A which is 0.4 secs. But the answer is 1.8 seconds.

Can someone explain to be what I'm doing wrong??? thanks!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Your formulas are correct, can you post your exact calculations for it?

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3
    m=0.5 kg
    r=0.8 m
    T=0.4 seconds
    v=12.5 m/s

Bottom part of the circle:

0.5kg(12.5^2m/s/0.8m+9.8m/s^2)= 102.7N

Top part of the circle

0.5kg(12.5^2m/s/0.8m-9.8m/s^2)=92.7N

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook