Circular Motion Homework: Solving Part (B) & Understanding Centripetal Force

In summary: As long as the vehicle is pressing against the track there will be a normal force. When the normal force goes to zero, that means it is no longer pressing against the track--if it goes any faster, it begins to go flying off.
haha1234

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the solution to part(B)
But I don't understand why the centripetal force is equal to the weight of the vehicle when the speed of the vehicle is maximum.

Attachments

• ???.png
    ???.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 402
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
haha1234 said:

But I don't understand why the centripetal force is equal to the weight of the vehicle when the speed of the vehicle is minimum.

Do you mean maximum? The minimum speed would be zero.

xophergrunge said:
Do you mean maximum? The minimum speed would be zero.

Yes.Sorry for my typo

Okay. So, what would happen if the centripetal force became greater than the weight?

haha1234 said:
But I don't understand why the centripetal force is equal to the weight of the vehicle when the speed of the vehicle is maximum.
What are the only forces acting on the vehicle?

xophergrunge said:
Okay. So, what would happen if the centripetal force became greater than the weight?

I don't know:frown:

Doc Al said:
What are the only forces acting on the vehicle?

Centripetal force and tangential force?

haha1234 said:
Centripetal force and tangential force?
No, I'm talking about real forces. ("Centripetal force" is just the name given to whatever force is producing the centripetal acceleration. It's not a kind of force.)

Hint: One of those forces is gravity. What's the other? (I'm only interesting in forces that act at the top of the motion.)

Doc Al said:
No, I'm talking about real forces. ("Centripetal force" is just the name given to whatever force is producing the centripetal acceleration. It's not a kind of force.)

Hint: One of those forces is gravity. What's the other? (I'm only interesting in forces that act at the top of the motion.)

Normal force? But I don't know how they are relevant to the maximum speed:cry:

haha1234 said:
Normal force?
Yes!

But I don't know how they are relevant to the maximum speed
They are relevant because those two forces combine to give you the centripetal force.

What direction do those forces act? Express the centripetal force in terms of those forces.

The force of gravity cannot change, but what about the normal force?

Doc Al said:
Yes!

They are relevant because those two forces combine to give you the centripetal force.

What direction do those forces act? Express the centripetal force in terms of those forces.

The force of gravity cannot change, but what about the normal force?

Am I correct?
But when the centripetal force is greater than the weight, the normal force will be smaller than zero.
Is it correct?

Attachments

• DSC_0587[1].jpg
    DSC_0587[1].jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 335
haha1234 said:
Am I correct?
But when the centripetal force is greater than the weight, the normal force will be smaller than zero.
Is it correct?
Yes.

Of course the normal force cannot be less than zero. What will happen is that the vehicle will leave the track if the speed is too great. The point where it is going as fast as it can and still maintain contact will be when the normal force goes to zero.

Doc Al said:
Yes.

Of course the normal force cannot be less than zero. What will happen is that the vehicle will leave the track if the speed is too great. The point where it is going as fast as it can and still maintain contact will be when the normal force goes to zero.

Why the vehicle will leave the track when the normal force becomes zero?
Sorry for my stupidity.:shy:

haha1234 said:
Why the vehicle will leave the track when the normal force becomes zero?
As long as the vehicle is pressing against the track there will be a normal force. When the normal force goes to zero, that means it is no longer pressing against the track--if it goes any faster, it begins to go flying off.

Likes 1 person

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the distance from the center of the circle to the object remains constant. This type of motion is characterized by a constant angular velocity and a changing linear velocity.

2. How do you solve circular motion homework?

To solve circular motion homework, you need to use the equations and principles of circular motion, such as centripetal acceleration, centripetal force, and angular velocity. You also need to understand the relationship between these variables and how to manipulate equations to solve for unknown values.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, keeping it in its circular motion. It is always directed towards the center of the circle and is equal to the mass of the object times its centripetal acceleration.

4. How do you calculate centripetal force?

To calculate centripetal force, you can use the equation Fc = mv²/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. You can also use the equation Fc = ma, where a is the centripetal acceleration.

5. How does understanding centripetal force help in real-life situations?

Understanding centripetal force can help in real-life situations by allowing you to analyze and predict the motion of objects in circular paths. This is important in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports, where objects or people may experience circular motion. It also helps in understanding the forces acting on these objects and how to maintain their circular motion. For example, understanding centripetal force is crucial in designing roller coasters or analyzing the movement of planets in their orbits.