Andrew Seeks Help on Physics Question Involving Train Braking

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the force exerted on the wheels of a train by the track while decelerating. There are two forces involved: the normal component of the reaction force of the track and the backward pointing frictional force. The net force on the system is the same as the force exerted on the wheels by the tracks, as the wheels have the same acceleration as the whole system. The brake force applies to both the wheels and the track.
amose093
I have recently completed my mid-year chemistry exam and came across a question that i cannot find an answer to. Me and my friends completely disagree and i was wondering if anyone could help me?
-The question showed a simplified diagram of a train around a circular section of a track, and the question asked-"draw an arrow representing the force exerted on the wheels of the train by the track while the train is decelerating".
Does the braking of the train have any effect on the forces present between the track and the train?
Thanx guys...
Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
Please DO NOT double post!

Zz.

So you can't actually help me, i just thought that i may have posted in the wrong section!

wouldnt the braking create a greater magnitude of friction or create friction if there wasnt any initially present?

See that's my main problem. Does the braking affect the interection between the track and the wheels, the question seemed to be quite specific. Is the brake force applied to the wheels or the track?

There are actually two forces: the normal component F_cent of the reaction force of the track (providing the centripetal acceleration), and the backward pointing frictional force f_k that arises during braking. So the resultant force that the track applies on the wheel points somewhere between the center of the circular track and the backward direction.

Attachments

• answer.jpg
    answer.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 403
Wow this forum is great, thanks for the speedy replies.
See that's the answer i would give if asked for the net force on the system, however if it singled out the force ON THE WHEELS EXERTED BY THE TRACKS, is the answer still the same?

amose093 said:
See that's the answer i would give if asked for the net force on the system, however if it singled out the force ON THE WHEELS EXERTED BY THE TRACKS, is the answer still the same?

It's the same thing. The weels have the same acceleration as the whole system. The difference is that the acceleration is multiplied with the mass of a single wheel, rather than the mass of all the train system.

1. How does the train's mass affect its braking distance?

The train's mass affects its braking distance because the more mass the train has, the more kinetic energy it has. This means that it will require more force to slow down and stop the train, resulting in a longer braking distance.

2. Why is the coefficient of friction important in this problem?

The coefficient of friction is important in this problem because it determines the amount of friction between the train's wheels and the tracks. This friction is what helps slow down the train during braking. A higher coefficient of friction means more friction and a shorter braking distance, while a lower coefficient of friction means less friction and a longer braking distance.

3. How does the train's velocity affect its braking distance?

The train's velocity or speed affects its braking distance because the faster the train is moving, the more kinetic energy it has. This means that it will take more time and distance to slow down and stop the train, resulting in a longer braking distance.

4. What is the formula for calculating the train's braking distance?

The formula for calculating the train's braking distance is d = (v^2)/(2u*g), where d is the braking distance, v is the train's initial velocity, u is the coefficient of friction, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

5. How does the length of the train affect its braking distance?

The length of the train does not directly affect its braking distance. However, a longer train may require more force and time to slow down and stop due to its larger mass. Additionally, the length of the train may impact the coefficient of friction between the wheels and tracks, which can indirectly affect the braking distance.