1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motion

1. Jan 8, 2015 #1
    Good afternoon!
    Exercise: Prove that if a body moves under the action of a force F = k⋅u × v, where u is an arbitrary unit vector and v the velocity, the motion is circular with angular velocity ω = k ⋅ u or, in a more general case, a spiral parallel to u.

Source: (Alonso & Finn: Fundamental university physics)

I attempted to prove that F is a central force, so that the angular momentum is constant. Is that wrong?
    Thank you in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2015 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Would showing F is a central force buy you anything? The force of the Sun on a planet is a central force. but the orbits aren't circular.

4. Jan 8, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That won't do it. F = k.v would satisfy that. Get an equation for the acceleration.

5. Jan 9, 2015 #4
    Thank you for your responses! In order to prove that it's motion is circular wouldn't it be sufficient to prove that ω is constant?
    Could you "boost" me a bit?

6. Jan 9, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Not really. The question is asking you to demonstrate that the equation of motion corresponds to a particle moving at constant speed in a helix. (It says spiral, but it means helix.)
    It might help if you could write down the general equation for such a motion, so that you could see what the answer has to look like. Hint: pick a suitable set of orthogonal unit vectors.
    Anyway, the first (easy) step, as I posted originally, is to obtain an equation for the acceleration of the particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted