1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Motion

1. Oct 14, 2005 #1
    I am having a hard time trying to figure out this problem:
    What is the max speed that you can drive the car over the top of the bump without losing contact with the road. I have the radius= 66.7 m, constant speed of car = 16.4m/s, and weight of your passenger=57.0kg. With these numbers I was able to find the apparent weight of passenger as you pass over the top of the bump= 329.3 N. I just dont know how to find the speed need to not lose contact. Some one please help. Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2005 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

What forces act on the car as it passes the top of the bump? What forces act if it loses contact? Is the car accelerating? How would you apply Newton's 2nd law to the car?

4. Oct 14, 2005 #3
    The forces are force from the bump? Normal force? If it loses contact wouldnt gravity act on the car? The car is accelerating.

5. Oct 14, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

There are two forces acting on the car: gravity and the normal force. At the point where the car just loses contact with the road, the normal force goes to zero so only gravity is left to hold the car onto the road. Now apply Newton's 2nd law and what you know about circular motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?