Find Angular Velocity for Moving Particle Parallel to x-Axis

In summary: This is analogous to the standard approach for finding the angular velocity of a rotating object.If you resolve the motion vector into radial and tangential components relative to the origin then only the tangential component causes the angle to change.
Vatsal Goyal

Homework Statement

A particle is moving parallel to x-axis in the positive direction with velocity v such that at all the instants the y -axis component of its position vector is constant and is equal to 'b'. Find angular velocity about origin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that angular velocity would be the rate of change of the angle of the position vector of the particle with the origin, let's say theta. So I wrote tan (theta) = b/x and differentiated with time but got the wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me your general approach is correct, so either you did a mistake in the differentiation or on the afterwards algebraic manipulation that is needed in order to find the angular velocity.

Please post your work with as much detail as you can so we ll be able to pinpoint your mistakes.

Vatsal Goyal said:
got the wrong answer.
perhaps it is a matter of whether you take the angle as from the x-axis or from the y axis.

The answer I got myself, taking the angle from the x-axis is ω=bv/(b2+x2). replace x=vt to get it as a function of time t. Is that the answer from your book, or is that what you calculated?

Delta² said:
The answer I got myself, taking the angle from the x-axis is ω=bv/(b2+x2). replace x=vt to get it as a function of time t. Is that the answer from your book, or is that what you calculated?
Thats what I am getting, but the answer is different in the book, I checked the solutions and what they had done is that they took component of velocity perpendicular to position vector and then differentiated, I have a feeling that its wrong because that's not what my teacher taught, what do you think?
IMG_20180804_085914.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180804_085914.jpg
    IMG_20180804_085914.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 285
haruspex said:
perhaps it is a matter of whether you take the angle as from the x-axis or from the y axis.
No the book had a diagram, and angle is clearly marked with horizontal, similar to the one I have drawn in the post above.

I think the two approaches should give same result. Can you give us what is the final answer from your book?

Delta² said:
I think the two approaches should give same result. Can you give us what is the final answer from your book?
Its [v sin^2(theta)]/b

Vatsal Goyal said:
Its [v sin^2(theta)]/b
are you quite sure that is different? Note that you were not given x, so you should eliminate that from your answer.

It is the same as we calculated, it is easy to see that ##\sin^2(\theta(t))=\frac{b^2}{b^2+x(t)^2}##

Ohh I didn't see that, thank you! But how do I justify the book's approach, I don't understand why their answer is correct. They have divided the magnitude of component of velocity perpendicular to position vector by the magnitude of position vector.

Vatsal Goyal said:
Ohh I didn't see that, thank you! But how do I justify the book's approach, I don't understand why their answer is correct. They have divided the magnitude of component of velocity perpendicular to position vector by the magnitude of position vector.
If you resolve the motion vector into radial and tangential components relative to the origin then only the tangential component causes the angle to change. vtangential=rradialω.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of an object's angular position with respect to time. It is usually expressed in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity refers to the rotation of an object around an axis, while linear velocity refers to the straight-line motion of an object. Angular velocity is measured in radians per second, while linear velocity is measured in meters per second.

3. How do you calculate angular velocity?

Angular velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position by the change in time. It can also be calculated by multiplying the radius of the circular motion by the linear velocity of the object.

4. What is the formula for finding angular velocity?

The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω represents angular velocity, Δθ represents the change in angular position, and Δt represents the change in time.

5. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative if the object is rotating in the opposite direction to the chosen positive direction. It can also be negative if the object is slowing down or accelerating in the opposite direction of its motion.