1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular motions

1. Jun 26, 2004 #1
    I haven't worked with circular motions yet but i have these questions for lab. Could someone please help?

A group of students observes that a wooden block o mass o.29kg on a string makes 15 rotations in 23.5 seconds at a radius of 0.70 meters. (a) the blocks tangential velocity is.. (b) the blocks angular velocity is..

I tried using the equation v= 2pi r/T but that's not working. With that I got 0.87m/s but it's not right. What equations should I use for these?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2004 #2
    Hi, I think I got it but do check my work.

First we calculate the [tex]\omega[/tex] and then we use it to find [tex]v[/tex].

[tex]\omega = \frac {15 \text{rev}}{23.5 \text{s}} \times \frac {2\pi}{1 \text{rev}} = 4.01 \text{rad/s}[/tex]

Using [tex]v=r \omega[/tex] we get [tex]v=2.807 \text{m/s}[/tex]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  4. Jun 26, 2004 #3
    thank you...that's right. I wasn't accounting for the 15 revolutions. I was just using one revolution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?