Solving Vector Coordinates Problem for Circular Movement

In summary: I think I can figure it out. In summary, the problem is that the vectors are not perpendicular, so the components of ir are not the same.
brad sue
hi ,
I have a problem about vector coordinates. this is the problem.

We have a 2-dimension space [x(unit vector i) and y( unit vector j)].

I have a circle of center 0 (0,0) and a point P such that OP = r.

Vector OP and the x-axis have an angle of θ .

there is a unit vector ir , with the same direction with OP( but starting at P.)

Another unit vector it starts at P , but it is perpendicular to vector ir. ( it 's direction is toward north-west)

Express vector ir as a combination of unit vectors i and j.

Express vector it as a combination of unit vectors i and j.

I found that ir = cos(θ ) i + sin(θ ) j

how to find it ? when I try to compute for it, I found the same as ir, but I am not sure.

Please help

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it is perpendicular to ir, they cannot have the same components. Draw a careful diagram. (I suspect you are mixing up your sines and cosines.)

Doc Al said:
Since it is perpendicular to ir, they cannot have the same components. Draw a careful diagram. (I suspect you are mixing up your sines and cosines.)

OK, I follow your suggestion and now I find:

it= sin(θ )i +cos(θ ) j

I do not know if you did the problem but I believe it is ok now

It's almost right. To see what's wrong, test if these vectors are perpendicular.

Doc Al said:

Doc please I need help for this problem. Someone reply me but I need more information to complete it. It is urgent !

This is a problem I have . But because I cannot include the graph, I try to do via Microsoft Word. I put it as an attachment. I hope that you will understand it.

This is the problem:

Traffic signals are placed along a straight road at positions x = 0 m, x = 600 m, and x = 1200 m (see graph in attachment)). The time intervals during which the signals are green are shown by the thick lines ( in red) in the figure.

(a) Draw the displacement-versus-time curves (fastest and slowest) for a car that passes through all the lights when the car moves with constant speed.

(b) Draw a similar set of lines for a car traveling in the opposite direction.

(c) Assuming that the lights are timed such that a car passes through all lights in the middle of the time interval, what is the speed for which the lights are timed?

(d) What is the fastest constant speed of a car that makes it through all the signals, assuming it arrives at the first light at the optimal moment?

For info.:
The grah is a 2 dimension space with time(s) on horizontal and the position x(m) in vertical.
The interval are put in red and I mentioned the time interval at the end of each line.Please help me with that . I do not understand it

Thank you very much.

Brad

Attachments

• graphphys.doc
    19 KB · Views: 160
Did you read Doc Al's last post:
"It's almost right. To see what's wrong, test if these vectors are perpendicular."

You had said " ir = cos(θ ) i + sin(θ ) j" and "it= sin(θ)i+ cos(θ)j"

Remember that the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is 0. Here the dot product would be cos(θ)sin(θ)+sin(θ)cos(θ).
Do you see what is wrong? Now look at your picture again.

HallsofIvy said:
Did you read Doc Al's last post:
"It's almost right. To see what's wrong, test if these vectors are perpendicular."

You had said " ir = cos(θ ) i + sin(θ ) j" and "it= sin(θ)i+ cos(θ)j"

Remember that the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is 0. Here the dot product would be cos(θ)sin(θ)+sin(θ)cos(θ).
Do you see what is wrong? Now look at your picture again.

I got it
it =-sin(θ)i+ cos(θ)j

Hallsofivy,
Please can take a look at the problem ( about the car and the 3 lights) just above this quote. I do not know if Doc will be available today.

Please give some suggestions.

Thanks

1. What is a vector coordinate problem for circular movement?

A vector coordinate problem for circular movement is a mathematical problem that involves determining the position, velocity, and acceleration of a moving object along a circular path. It involves using vector quantities such as magnitude and direction to describe the movement of the object.

2. How do you solve a vector coordinate problem for circular movement?

To solve a vector coordinate problem for circular movement, you need to first identify the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the object. Then, you can use trigonometric functions and vector operations, such as addition and subtraction, to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time along the circular path.

3. What is the importance of solving vector coordinate problems for circular movement?

Solving vector coordinate problems for circular movement is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. It allows us to accurately describe and predict the movement of objects in circular motion, which is a common type of motion in many real-world scenarios.

4. What are some common challenges in solving vector coordinate problems for circular movement?

One common challenge in solving vector coordinate problems for circular movement is visualizing the circular motion and understanding the relationship between the position, velocity, and acceleration vectors. Another challenge is dealing with non-uniform circular motion, where the speed or direction of the object changes along the circular path.

5. Are there any tips for solving vector coordinate problems for circular movement?

Some tips for solving vector coordinate problems for circular movement include drawing accurate diagrams, using trigonometric identities and vector formulas, and breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with different types of circular motion problems.