1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Moviment

1. Dec 31, 2004 #1
    Please refer to the attachment;

Can I express the angle X in function of the length L, the mass M and the circular velocity w?

If I were to do the experiment with an unknown gravity would I also have to include gravity g, to find the angle?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For some reason your attachment is not shown. I am assuming that this is a mass suspended by a string undergoing a circular motion with angular speed [itex]\omega[/itex].

The string tension and gravity are the only forces acting on the mass. So the force of gravity is obviously important.

What is the acceleration of the mass? In what direction is it acting? What is the radius of circular motion? Do you know how to express the centripetal acceleration in terms of its angular speed and radius of motion? What supplies the horizontal acceleration? (Hint: it is either gravity or the tension or a combination of these).

Now a vertical force required to balance the downward force of gravity has to be supplied, since there is no vertical acceleration. What is it supplied by? What is the ratio of these forces? How does that relate to the angle X you are trying to find?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?