Calculating Satellite Speed Based on Orbit Period

In summary, a student attempted to calculate the speed of a satellite in a circular orbit around Earth using an equation. After rearranging the equation and solving for velocity, the student's answer was 1.26x10^7 m/s, but the teacher deemed it incorrect. The student requested the actual numbers used in the equation.
phobia

Homework Statement

A satellite is in a circular orbit about the Earth (M = 5.98 x 1024 kg). The period of the satellite is 7.12 x 104 s. What is the speed at which the satellite travels?

2. The attempt at a solution
I used the equation:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7176/math062gg0.gif

Re-arranged it to isolate r:

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/9274/math065rr5.gif

After I got radii, i solved for velocity:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3975/math053pd6.gif

My answer: 1.26x10^7 m/s
Teacher: Incorrect

Note: The numbers in the equations are not the actual ones i used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The equations seem right to me. Seems like something went wrong when plugging in the numbers. What are the actual numbers you used?

Your method for calculating the satellite speed is correct. However, your answer may be incorrect due to rounding errors or incorrect values used in the equations. I would recommend double-checking your calculations and using the actual values given in the homework statement to get a more accurate answer. Additionally, it would be helpful to show your work in more detail so that your teacher can identify any mistakes and provide feedback on how to improve your method. Keep up the good work in using mathematical equations to solve scientific problems!

1. How is the speed of a satellite calculated based on its orbit period?

The speed of a satellite can be calculated using the formula v = 2πr/T, where v is the speed in meters per second, r is the radius of the orbit in meters, and T is the orbit period in seconds.

2. What is the orbit period of a satellite?

The orbit period of a satellite is the time it takes for the satellite to complete one full orbit around its parent body, such as the Earth.

3. How does the distance from the parent body affect the satellite's speed?

The speed of a satellite increases as the distance from the parent body increases. This is because the further the satellite is from the parent body, the weaker the gravitational force acting on it, allowing it to move at a faster speed.

4. Can the speed of a satellite change during its orbit?

Yes, the speed of a satellite can change during its orbit. This is due to various factors such as changes in the gravitational force, atmospheric drag, and thrust from onboard rockets.

5. What units are used to measure the speed of a satellite?

The speed of a satellite is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).