Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular Orbits

1. Nov 3, 2007 #1
    Hi i am doing a lab on circular orbits similar to this one: http://www.batesville.k12.in.us/physics/phynet/mechanics/Circular Motion/labs/cf_and_speed.htm

I was wondering if someone can tell me what the main sources of error are, as well as the most significant source of error.

Also, i am not clear on what the slope of a T(period of rev) vs L(length of string) graph means. I made an experimental T vs L graph and a theoretical T vs L graph, however, i had to square the T so i get a straight line so its really a T^2 vs L graph. Basically, i want to know the relationship between T and L.

Finally, i have a post lab question that asks: Discuss how the results of your experiment would be affected if the ratio of the masses used was 1:2 instead of 1:3. How would this affect A)the angle between the string and the vertical glass tube B)the relationship between the period of revolution and the length of the string?

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted