Solving David's Puzzling Circular Pasture Question

• Thread starter Dabonez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circular
In summary, the conversation discusses a math problem where a cow is tied to a point on a circular pasture and the question is how long the rope must be for the cow to graze exactly half of the pasture. The conversation provides equations and assumptions to help solve the problem.
Dabonez
My maths teacher recently gave me a weird question which really got my attention, but I have not managed to solve it so far. It can't exactly be described as homework, although it would give me a huge bonus if I managed to hand in the results.

There is a pasture in the shape of a circle. A cow is tied to a point on the circle. How long does the rope have to be, so the cow manages to pasture exactly 1/2 of the grassland?

I'm looking forward to everybody's opinions, and thanks in advance!

David

Mathematics news on Phys.org
To start, assume the pasture has radius R, then the area of the pasture is [tex]\pi R^2[/tex].

It may help to assume that the center of the pasture lies on the positive x-axis, and that edge of the pasture passes through the origin.

Now, assume that the cow's rope has radius C and is tied to the origin. This is the center of a second circle having area [tex]\pi C^2[/tex].

You are looking for the intersection of these two circles.

Note that you can assume C>R if it is to cover half of the pasture.

Also, you know that [tex]C < R\sqrt{2}[/tex], since having [tex]C = R\sqrt{2}[/tex] would mean that circle C (the cow's circle) would intersect circle R (the pasture circle) at (R,R) and (R,-R). This intersection is obviously greater than 1/2 the area of circle R.

So now we have [tex]R < C < R\sqrt{2}[/tex].

Assume the intersecting points between the two circles are A (at the top) and B (at the bottom). Line segment AB is a chord of both circles, and thus we have 2 circle segments.

This should give you enough information to get you on the right track...

What is "Solving David's Puzzling Circular Pasture Question"?

"Solving David's Puzzling Circular Pasture Question" is a mathematical puzzle that involves finding the area of a circular pasture using only a measuring tape and a stick.

Who is David and why is his pasture question puzzling?

David is a fictional character used in this puzzle. His pasture question is considered puzzling because it challenges individuals to think outside the box and use creative problem-solving skills to find a solution.

What tools are needed to solve David's Puzzling Circular Pasture Question?

The only tools needed to solve this puzzle are a measuring tape and a stick. These are the only materials available to measure the pasture's circumference and radius.

What is the correct solution to David's Puzzling Circular Pasture Question?

The correct solution to David's Puzzling Circular Pasture Question is to use the formula A = πr² to find the area of the circle, where A is the area and r is the radius. By measuring the circumference with the measuring tape and dividing it by 2π, the radius can be determined and plugged into the formula to find the area.

Why is "Solving David's Puzzling Circular Pasture Question" important?

"Solving David's Puzzling Circular Pasture Question" is important because it challenges individuals to think critically, use problem-solving skills, and apply mathematical concepts in a practical way. It also highlights the importance of creativity and resourcefulness in finding solutions to complex problems.