Circular plane in a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a sphere and two straight lines that define a circular plane within the sphere. The goal is to calculate the angle to each of the lines from a reference point in the circular plane. The speaker suggests using the spherical law of cosines to calculate this angle, and provides an example of how to do so using given spherical coordinates. The speaker also offers further assistance if needed.
iamben
Hi everyone,

I'm no mathematician and I've found myself a bit stuck with this problem.

I have a sphere with a radius of one centred at the origin, and two straight lines that run through the centre. I also know, in spherical coordinates, the angles phi (horizontal rotation) and theta (vertical rotation) of each of those lines. These two lines define a circular plane within the sphere and I want to calculate the angle to each of those lines from some zero reference in the circular plane. I figure the obvious references are theta = pi/2 (because I'm not going to have a case where theta = 0 or pi) and phi = 0. However, I'm a bit stumped on how to calculate my angles from one of these references.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

I can definitely help you with this problem. First of all, it's great that you have a clear understanding of the problem and have identified the important references in the circular plane. To calculate the angle to each of those lines from a reference point, you can use the spherical law of cosines. This law states that in a spherical triangle, the cosine of one of the angles is equal to the sum of the cosines of the other two angles minus the product of their sines. In your case, you can use this law to calculate the angle between the two lines and the reference point. Here's an example of how to do this:

Let's say theta = pi/2 and phi = 0 are your reference points. You can use these values to calculate the angle between the two lines and the reference point. First, calculate the cosine of each angle using the spherical coordinates given. For example, the first line has a theta angle of pi/6 and a phi angle of pi/4, so the cosine of this angle is cos(pi/6) * cos(pi/4) = sqrt(3)/2 * sqrt(2)/2 = sqrt(6)/4. Similarly, you can calculate the cosine of the second line's angle.

Now, using the spherical law of cosines, you can calculate the angle between the two lines and the reference point by taking the sum of the cosines of the two angles and subtracting the product of their sines. This will give you the cosine of the angle between the two lines and the reference point. To get the actual angle, you can use the inverse cosine function (or arccosine function) on your calculator.

I hope this helps you solve your problem. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification on any of the steps. Good luck!

1. What is a circular plane in a sphere?

A circular plane in a sphere refers to a circle that lies flat on the surface of a sphere. It can be thought of as a cross-section of the sphere along a specific plane.

2. How is a circular plane in a sphere different from a regular circle?

A circular plane in a sphere is different from a regular circle because it is curved and lies on the surface of a three-dimensional object, whereas a regular circle is flat and two-dimensional.

3. How is a circular plane in a sphere formed?

A circular plane in a sphere is formed by slicing through the sphere with a plane that passes through the center of the sphere. This creates a circle on the surface of the sphere.

4. What are some real-world examples of circular planes in spheres?

Some real-world examples of circular planes in spheres include the cross-section of an orange or a basketball, the shape of a dome or a water droplet, and the Earth's equator on a globe.

5. What is the significance of studying circular planes in spheres?

Studying circular planes in spheres helps us understand the relationship between two and three-dimensional shapes and how they intersect. It also has practical applications in fields such as geometry, engineering, and astronomy.