1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular polarization wrt. magnetic field

1. Sep 15, 2012 #1
    Hi

I am a little confused regarding circular polarization. I have attached a figure in order to explain the situation I have been thinking of: It shows (to the left) how a magnetic field changes from being positive to being negative. The arrow indicates my quantization axis. To the right I have sketched the incoming EM-light, and the circle indicates that it is circularly polarized. The direction is such that it is σ- wrt. the quantization axis (the right hand rule).

The main objective is that I want to drive the Δm=-1 (from J=0, m=0 to J=1, m=-1) transition of an atom moving from left ro right. But this is the part that is troubling me: Am I allowed to just define the quantization axis the way I have? With this definition, the only thing that changes is the magnetic dipole moment of the atom, and it goes from negative to positive. Am I right in all this?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Best,
    Niles.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted