1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circular polarization

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Yesterday I was busy inadvertantly simulating circular polarization of light.

We were taking down the Christimas tree including a very long strand of beads. The strand was composed of 4 strands of beads (each like a pearl necklace) woven in a helix.

When we (my wife & I) started at one end to unravel the 4 strands from each other, the net result was build up up circular torque as we moved down the length of the strand (it was > 100 feet long). It built up like the knots that form in the elastic of a balsa airplane when you wind it up.

Each time I lifted the strand, the buildup of circular tension would release, and a circular pulse would race down the length of the strand for several dozen feet.

OK, probably not a perfect analogy for polarized light, but cool nonetheless.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2
    Hehe. Oh damn I got an exam which may include a small part on circular polarization in 10 hours time! Time for bed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?