Solving Circular Thermodynamics: Calculating Heat Flow & Boundary Temperatures

In summary, the problem is that the heat flow and temperature depend upon each other and the Excel program struggled to converge to an equilibrium.
99.9% Void
Hey everybody, no idea if this is the right place for me to post this…

This is the first post I've ever written, in any forum, ever. Complete forum newbie with a complex problem, hence my desperate plea for help on this nexus of knowledge forged through experience that I have yet to gain.

The problem is one of Thermodynamics and is as follows, I have a hot gas contained in a chamber and I only want a set about of energy to escape it. Given the very hot temperature of the gas I will need a few layers of insulation of different properties to try and contain the heat. I have built a tool in excel that uses the Materials properties and dimensions to calculate the heat flow through each layer of insulation, and the temperature at each of these boundaries, taking into account the heat flow from conduction, forced convection and radiation to sum the net heat flow through all layers.

It seems to be a circular problem, in that the heat flow and temperature depend upon each other, something that excel doesn't agree with, so I devised a series of tables in order to de-link their relationship and used the solver function to try and converge to an equilibrium but with no joy. I wonder if my method is fundamentally flawed…

The problem I put forward to the floor is this, If you had to calculate the heat flow and boundary temperatures through multiple layers of materials how would you go about doing it? Any help, even if it is to just point me in the right direction would be appreciated.

Looking forward to a reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without looking at your equations or calculations, it sounds like you have to make some initial assumptions about the temperatures at the various layers and then iterate to find a solution. I would first start off with a simple model, say one layer of insulation, and develop the excel routines until a solution was reached. Then I would add additional complexity (more layers of insulation) to the model and adjust as required. A canned routine like Solver may not be suitable for what you are doing. You might have to play around with adjusting individual layer temps by hand until the physical properties of your model (heat flow from the reservoir) agree with the temps of the insulation.

If you want specific ideas, you'll have to provide more detail about your model and calcs.

Thank you for the swift reply. Using approximations as a starting point to determine the flow of heat through each layer is where I began, since then the model has grown in complexity. Starting again, one layer at a time might be the best option for me at this point, especially as a way of sense checking the results. The layers of reflective material sandwiched in-between the insulation to counter the flow of radiation add an extra dimension of confusion.

Even though specific help would be appreciated, there is nothing like solving a problem that's been hanging over your head a while! That said, if I don’t crack it soon I’ll be posting further details…

1. What is Circular Thermodynamics?

Circular Thermodynamics is a branch of thermodynamics that deals with the transfer of heat and energy in circular or cyclic systems. It involves calculating the heat flow and boundary temperatures in such systems.

2. Why is it important to solve Circular Thermodynamics problems?

Circular Thermodynamics is important because many real-world systems, such as heat engines and refrigeration systems, operate in a cyclical manner. By understanding the principles of circular thermodynamics, we can optimize the efficiency and performance of these systems.

3. What is the equation for calculating heat flow in Circular Thermodynamics?

The equation for calculating heat flow in Circular Thermodynamics is Q = nCΔT, where Q is the heat flow, n is the number of cycles, C is the heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. How do you determine the boundary temperatures in Circular Thermodynamics?

The boundary temperatures in Circular Thermodynamics can be determined by using the Carnot efficiency formula, which states that the efficiency of a cyclic process is equal to the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs divided by the temperature of the hot reservoir. This can also be expressed as Tc/Th, where Tc is the temperature of the cold reservoir and Th is the temperature of the hot reservoir.

5. What are some practical applications of Circular Thermodynamics?

Circular Thermodynamics has many practical applications, such as in the design of heat engines, refrigeration systems, and renewable energy systems. It is also used in the fields of chemistry, physics, and engineering to study cyclic processes and optimize their efficiency.