Circular to oscillatory motion

In summary, the speaker is from Bioengineering and needs a mechanism to transform circular motion into oscillatory motion for a device. They found a mechanism in a picture but have questions about its sinusoidal motion and specifications. They also welcome suggestions for alternative mechanisms. Further information about the application is needed to determine the best mechanism for the job.
kirikinny
Hi all

I'm from Bioengineering and unfortunately not too expert on the mechanical side. I'm making a device for which I need a mechanism to transform circular motion into oscillatory motion. I found the mechanism in the picture below:

http://www.clohe-movingtoys.eu/Images/Mechanisms/leva_oscillante_1.gif

In my device, the oscillating 'stick' would cover an angle of 170 degrees.

My questions are:
Is the oscillatory motion actually sinusoidal? (ie is the velocity/position actually sinusoidal, or are they just approximated to sinusoids due to the small angle shown in the picture?)
If it is/can be sinusoidal, is there a straight forward way to go about to find the specs (size and position of rotating wheel...) of the system?

Suggestions on different mechanisms I could use are very welcome. (I thought of using a cam but the oscillating 'stick' would in my case probably be jumpy due to the high velocity and low weight needed).

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
More information about your application is needed. There are many mechanisms available.

Do you need a linear or an angular oscillation?
Do you want the angle of the lever, or the horizontal position of the end of the lever, to be sinusoidal?

It will be difficult to get 170° from your example because it will be too close to locking up at 0° and 180°.

What are you trying to control?
How much real work does the mechanism need to do?
What maximum RPM do you require?
Scale, how long is the lever?

1. What is the difference between circular and oscillatory motion?

Circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path, while oscillatory motion is when an object repeatedly moves back and forth around a central point or equilibrium position.

2. What causes an object to undergo circular to oscillatory motion?

This type of motion can occur when an object is subjected to a restoring force, such as gravity or a spring, that pulls it back towards a central point or equilibrium position.

3. Can an object undergo both circular and oscillatory motion simultaneously?

Yes, an object can experience both types of motion at the same time. For example, a pendulum swings in a circular motion while also oscillating back and forth around its equilibrium position.

4. How does the amplitude of oscillation affect the period of circular to oscillatory motion?

The amplitude, or maximum displacement from the equilibrium position, does not affect the period of oscillation. The period is determined by the restoring force and the mass of the object.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular to oscillatory motion?

Some common examples include the swinging of a pendulum, the motion of a Ferris wheel, and the oscillations of a spring. The motion of planets around the sun and the vibration of a guitar string are also examples of circular to oscillatory motion.