Is Tidal Circularisation of Orbits a Tricky Concept?

In summary, the conversation discusses the circularisation of an orbit with a semi-major axis a and eccentricity e. It is stated that the orbit will circularise at a semi-major axis acirc, given by acirc = 2rperi = 2a (1 − e). However, it is pointed out that this cannot be the final semi-major axis as it would double in the trivial case of e=0. The conversation then suggests finding out which quantities are conserved during the process, such as energy or angular momentum, to determine the correct semi-major axis.
thespoonftw

Homework Statement

A body on an orbit with semi-major axis a and eccentricity e undergoes tidal circularisation.

Show that the orbit will circularise at a semi-major axis, acirc, given by

acirc = 2rperi = 2a (1 − e).

Homework Equations

No equations given, but I think the following could be useful

E = -GMm/2a
e2 = 1 - b2/a2

The Attempt at a Solution

An earlier part of the question hints at L conservation

Equating centripetal force and grav force for the circular orbit gives:
L = m (GMR)0.5

Finding the velocity at the closest point in orbit r = a(1-e)

E = -GMm/2a = 1/2 mv2 - GMm/a(1-e)

simplifies to
v2 = GM(1+e)/rp

Equating L2
L2 = GMm2 rp (1+e) = GMm2 rc

Finally:
rc = rp (1+e)

This is close to the final answer, but not quite!
Somethings gone wrong somewhere but I'm sure what.. I've checked my working several times.
Sorry a lot of my working lines are missing, it's quite tricky to type them all out.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find out which quantities are conserved during the process. Energy, angular momentum, or something else?

thespoonftw said:
acirc = 2rperi = 2a (1 − e).
That cannot be the final semi-major axis. Consider the trivial case of e=0, for example, where the semi-major axis will certainly not double.
It could be twice the semi-major axis.

Likes thespoonftw
Oh, well spotted with the trivial case.
Yea it looks like there's something wrong the question, and i think my method was fine.
Thanks for your time.

1. What is circularisation of orbit?

Circularisation of orbit is the process of changing an elliptical orbit into a circular one. This is typically done by using a thruster or other propulsion system to adjust the speed and direction of the spacecraft.

2. Why is circularisation of orbit important?

Circular orbits are more stable and predictable than elliptical ones, making them ideal for long-term missions. They also allow for more precise control and maneuvering of spacecraft.

3. How is circularisation of orbit achieved?

Circularisation of orbit can be achieved by firing a thruster in the opposite direction of the spacecraft's velocity, resulting in a decrease in speed and a change in direction. This process may need to be repeated multiple times to achieve a perfectly circular orbit.

4. What factors affect the circularisation of orbit?

The size and shape of the original orbit, as well as the thrust and fuel capabilities of the spacecraft, will all affect the circularisation process. External factors such as gravitational pull from other celestial bodies may also play a role.

5. Are there any risks or challenges associated with circularisation of orbit?

Yes, there are several risks and challenges associated with circularisation of orbit. One major challenge is ensuring that the spacecraft has enough fuel and thrust capabilities to successfully achieve a circular orbit. Additionally, the process must be carefully planned and executed to avoid collisions with other objects in space.