Circularly polarized light of intensity through a polariser

In summary, a polariser alters the polarization of light passing through it, resulting in plane polarized light.
Amith2006
Sir,
A circularly polarised light of intensity I is passed through a polariser resulting in the production of plane polarised light.What is the intensity of the plane polarised light? What is the expression which governs this effect?The formula that I know is I' = I cos^2x(Mallus law).Here the symbol ^ represents power.But in this case the angle between the plane of transmission of the analyser and the plane of polariser is not given.Please explain.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is x in the equation you quoted?

Claude.

The result of passing circularly polarized light through a plane polarizer is the same as it would be for originally unpolarized light. The transmitted light is plane polarized wilth half the intensity of the original light. There is no dependence on the angle (I assume it to be your x) until the now plane polarized light passes through a second plane polarizer.

Sir,
Can I take that each time a polarised light passes through a polariser its intensity becomes half?Is it also applicable to unpolarised light?

"The result of passing circularly polarized light through a plane polarizer is the same as it would be for originally unpolarized light. The transmitted light is plane polarized wilth half the intensity of the original light. "

Meir Achuz said:
"The result of passing circularly polarized light through a plane polarizer is the same as it would be for originally unpolarized light. The transmitted light is plane polarized wilth half the intensity of the original light. "

Sir,
Could you please tell me materials which produce plane,circular and elliptically polarised light?

There are a number of ways to polarize light.
Land's first invention (before the camera) was "polaroid", a material that only let light plane poloarized in one direction pass through.
Plane polarization can also be produced by scattering off a flat surface at angles close to arctan(n2/n1).
Circular and elliptical polarization can be produced by "optically active" crystals that have different indices of refraction in different directions.
There are other ways that get a bit more complicated.

Thank you Sir for clearing my doubt.

hi ,
i want to know if anybody can point me to some microscopic model which explains why light bends at the interface of 2 media? i am not asking for an exact mathematical model (although such a thing would be nice). an well founded physical explanation would be enough for me.

1. What is circularly polarized light?

Circularly polarized light is a type of light in which the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion as the light propagates through space. This is in contrast to linearly polarized light, where the electric field vector oscillates in a single plane.

2. How is circularly polarized light created?

Circularly polarized light can be created by passing linearly polarized light through a special optical device called a quarter-wave plate. This plate causes the electric field vector to rotate, resulting in circularly polarized light.

3. What is the difference between left and right circularly polarized light?

Left and right circularly polarized light have the same properties, except for the direction in which the electric field vector rotates. In left circularly polarized light, the electric field vector rotates counterclockwise, while in right circularly polarized light, it rotates clockwise.

4. How does a polarizer affect the intensity of circularly polarized light?

A polarizer is an optical device that only allows light with a certain polarization direction to pass through. When circularly polarized light passes through a polarizer, the intensity of the light is reduced by half since only half of the electric field vector aligns with the polarizer's direction.

5. What are the practical applications of circularly polarized light?

Circularly polarized light has various applications in science and technology, such as in 3D glasses, liquid crystal displays, and optical communication systems. It is also used in medical imaging and in studying the structure of chiral molecules in chemistry.