1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Circularly Polarized Light

1. Oct 7, 2007 #1
    I don't know if it is just my text/sources, but it appears that physics books ignore the phenomenon of left and right polarized light. What I would like help understanding is whether it is possible in the lab to divide plane polarized light into its two circularly polarized components. I know from experience, that it is possible to change the direction of the net polarization by passing light through chemicals- something I vaguely remember doing in 2nd year chem lab at UBC.

Now the point being, that if it is possible to isolate, say, a stream of circularly polarized light. Is it them possible to reflect the said light on a surface and measure to see if the light has remained c-polarized? Or, as I would expect- does it change from left to right, that is-reverse polarize?

Anyone have any experience in this field= or am I just gunna have to do my own experiment?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2007 #2
    Left and Right circularly polarized light discussion

The following link should summarize the phenomenon of left and right circularly polarized light:

http://focus.aps.org/story/v18/st14

1. While I know that there are two components to plane polarized light, namely left and right circularly polarized light. And:

2. That certain chemicals can affect one of these components to cause a shift,

what I want to know is if it is possible to actually isolate a pure left circularly polarized beam of light, that is, to completely separate one component from the other?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook